• E14B9142-06EF-4CE4-849B-194FA1C92CE2.jpeg
    E14B9142-06EF-4CE4-849B-194FA1C92CE2.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 11

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
What size is it and how big/old is your tort?
The water dish looks to small. He needs to fit into it and it should be level with the substrate.
Otherwise the enclosure looks nice if it's big enough.

soph.h

England
What size is it and how big/old is your tort?
The water dish looks to small. He needs to fit into it and it should be level with the substrate.
Otherwise the enclosure looks nice if it's big enough.
I appreciate the feedback- thank you. I think I'll pick up a terracotta dish at the weekend if I can..
Colin is 15 years old, only 5 inches. He's a Tunisian spur thigh :) enclosure is 122cm x 60 cm.. approx 4ft x 2 ft

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Sadly that's not big enough. An adult needs a minimum of a 4x8. If you can't add on to make it a 4x8 then add more length or width and add a second level. 2x4 is a hatchling size.

soph.h

England
Sadly that's not big enough. An adult needs a minimum of a 4x8. If you can't add on to make it a 4x8 then add more length or width and add a second level. 2x4 is a hatchling size.
It was my understanding that the size of the table should relate to size of tortoise.. 8x4 is recommended for bigger species than Colin, so surely he doesn't need quite that much space?
That being said I'll see what I can do and make it bigger. Of course bigger is better whenever possible, but I hope you can see my point, and I appreciate the feedback and will make changes as soon as I can :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It was my understanding that the size of the table should relate to size of tortoise.. 8x4 is recommended for bigger species than Colin, so surely he doesn't need quite that much space?
That being said I'll see what I can do and make it bigger. Of course bigger is better whenever possible, but I hope you can see my point, and I appreciate the feedback and will make changes as soon as I can :)
No that's a wrong understanding. Any larger tortoise would need much bigger then a 4x8.
The russians, hermanns, etc, the Mediterranean species even though they are smaller, they cover a lot of ground in the wild. They are the ones that need the minimum of the 4x8 larger if possible.

soph.h

England
No that's a wrong understanding. Any larger tortoise would need much bigger then a 4x8.
The russians, hermanns, etc, the Mediterranean species even though they are smaller, they cover a lot of ground in the wild. They are the ones that need the minimum of the 4x8 larger if possible.
Ah that makes sense- thank you. Unfortunately I am finished with school from today till beginning of September (that's where I built his table and got materials haha) but he spends a lot of time outside at the moment so hopefully he can hang on for a little and then I'll sort out some upgrades when I've got access to the stuff I need again. It's a lot bigger than his old one anyway, so for now it's better than it was.. thanks again for the help- I'll get on it as quick as possible!!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Ah that makes sense- thank you. Unfortunately I am finished with school from today till beginning of September (that's where I built his table and got materials haha) but he spends a lot of time outside at the moment so hopefully he can hang on for a little and then I'll sort out some upgrades when I've got access to the stuff I need again. It's a lot bigger than his old one anyway, so for now it's better than it was.. thanks again for the help- I'll get on it as quick as possible!!
Yeah if you can get him outside in a safe enclosure, and just bring him in at night, that would help a lot.
Even though it should be wider and longer, if you could double or triple either the length or width when you get back to school that would work. Easier then making it both wider and longer.