First day new Russian

Patch2361

Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
Ok, so we read up and tried to do everything right. We built a 2.5 x 5 foot turtle table. 5” deep bed of coco coir. Basking area 94.2 degrees. He ate 1 piece of kale leaf and then paced back and forth for 30 minutes or so. He then proceeded to bury himself in the basking area next to the stone flat. Is this normal? He has not found his hide area yet. From what I have read it can take a few weeks for them to get used to the new surroundings. Just want to make sure we do this right. Thanks in advance for any advice.

lilly_sand99

Marshalltown IA
My little girl has done the same thing, and I got her yesterday. From what I read it might take a few weeks for them to get comfortable...

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas

Patch2361

Wisconsin

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
I hate to break it to you, but your enclosure is much too small. An adult Russian like yours needs a minimum enclosure size of 8x4 feet.

Maybe you could extend the side be 5 feet, so that you have a 5x5.5 foot enclosure?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
. . . or build him a safe and secure pen outside! They do much better outside. And they hibernate in the winter, so there's no need for an indoor enclosure.

If you're going to keep the enclosure you're using, I'd like to suggest you put a staple over the light cord so it can't accidentally fall and cause a fire.

Patch2361

Wisconsin
. . . or build him a safe and secure pen outside! They do much better outside. And they hibernate in the winter, so there's no need for an indoor enclosure.

If you're going to keep the enclosure you're using, I'd like to suggest you put a staple over the light cord so it can't accidentally fall and cause a fire.
There are actually 3 heavy duty staples one on top and 2 on back that you cannot see. We are putting together an outside habitat for him also that is 8’ x 12’ to spend time in during day. We live in north east Wisconsin so winter would not be good. Thank you

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
There are actually 3 heavy duty staples one on top and 2 on back that you cannot see. We are putting together an outside habitat for him also that is 8’ x 12’ to spend time in during day. We live in north east Wisconsin so winter would not be good. Thank you
Good job!