New Russian Tortoise

swendall03

Location (City and/or State)
Georgia
Hey everyone! I just got a new Russian tortoise yesterday morning (my first ever tortoise). When I first put him into his enclosure, he walked to the back corner and buried himself in the substrate. I understand that this is normal behavior, right? Yesterday afternoon, I moved him to the middle of his enclosure (near his heat light, but not directly under). He hung out there for a couple hours, then went back to bury himself in the corner. I left him there for the night. He was still there this morning and is still there now.

He is about 2 years old (approx 3 inches). His basking area is around 94-95 degrees. The cooler side is around 70ish degrees. Humidity is in the 50s. He has food, water, and a hide...

At what point should I be worried? Is there something I can do to get him to come out and explore on his own?

Thanks for your help!

T Smart

5 Year Member
Chicago, IL
Hi, welcome!

What foods are you providing and is he eating it? What's the size of his enclosure? Current substrate? Temperatures/humidity sound great!

Don't worry this is normal behavior, especially for a younger tortoise. It might take a week or so for him to become familiar with the environment. As long as he is eating, I wouldn't be concerned. Also, a warm bath might perk him up!

swendall03

Georgia
I am currently providing the food pellets that came with him from the breeder plus some spring mix. He has not eaten anything yet, though. He has just been buried for most of the time.

His current enclosure is 36" x 24". Not ideal, I know, but it is temporary until I can build something bigger. Current substrate is cypress mulch.

I plan on giving him a soak when I get home from work today, so I will see if that helps.

Thanks for the quick reply!

Last edited:

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
I am currently providing the food pellets that came with him from the breeder plus some spring mix. He has not eaten anything yet, though. He has just been buried for most of the time.

His current enclosure is 36" x 24". Not ideal, I know, but it is temporary until I can build something bigger. Current substrate is cypress mulch.

I plan on giving him a soak when I get home from work today, so I will see if that helps.

Thanks for the quick reply!

1. Pellets and spring mix is not enough. Russians, like many tortoises, require a very high fiber diet of broad leaf weeds, flowers, and succulents. Please read this care sheet, follow the guidelines, and change whatever needs changing:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

2. Where did you purchase this tortoise from?

swendall03

Georgia
Thank you for your reply.

1. I have read those care sheets and I know that what I have isn't enough. I don't plan on feeding him that exclusively. It is just our first day and it was the first thing I offered :) I wanted to give him the pellets because I figured that is what he was familiar with and he might be more inclined to eat something he is used to eating.

2. I ordered him from The Turtle Source. It was highly recommended to me by a reptile store in my area that didn't currently have Russians.

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
Thank you for your reply.

1. I have read those care sheets and I know that what I have isn't enough. I don't plan on feeding him that exclusively. It is just our first day and it was the first thing I offered :) I wanted to give him the pellets because I figured that is what he was familiar with and he might be more inclined to eat something he is used to eating.

2. I ordered him from The Turtle Source. It was highly recommended to me by a reptile store in my area that didn't currently have Russians.

I personally do not have any experience with The Turtle Source. Though upon searching I have noticed a great deal of mixed reviews. A great deal of reviews does indicate that certain species of tortoises and turtles are brokered from outside breeding operations that The Turtle Source may not have any control over. Meaning their supposed high levels of standards may not pertain to certain tortoises they sell.

If I were you I would attempt to get in contact with them and see how your specific tortoise was housed and whether your tortoise was bred by The Turtle Source themselves or one of their several outside sources. Personally if I was going to buy another tortoise, a well started tortoise, I would make sure that this tortoise was in fact well-started before I spend the money to do so. Otherwise I would feel somewhat cheated if I were to spend a premium believing that I bought this when I was in fact offered another.

swendall03

Georgia
Than
I personally do not have any experience with The Turtle Source. Though upon searching I have noticed a great deal of mixed reviews. A great deal of reviews does indicate that certain species of tortoises and turtles are brokered from outside breeding operations that The Turtle Source may not have any control over. Meaning their supposed high levels of standards may not pertain to certain tortoises they sell.

If I were you I would attempt to get in contact with them and see how your specific tortoise was housed and whether your tortoise was bred by The Turtle Source themselves or one of their several outside sources. Personally if I was going to buy another tortoise, a well started tortoise, I would make sure that this tortoise was in fact well-started before I spend the money to do so. Otherwise I would feel somewhat cheated if I were to spend a premium believing that I bought this when I was in fact offered another.

Thank you for that information!

I have a 30 day period to return the little guy. If he doesn't perk up, I will definitely contact them about it.