First Enclosure for First Tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

robopeen

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
SF Bay Area
This is for my new Hermann's hatchling.

The humidity is around 50%, it was 60% last night but dropped to 30% this morning so now I have a towel over most of enclosure and I've been adding a lot of water to the moss under the CHE.

The temperatures are:
Basking: 93-100 depending on where I point my temp gun
Warm: 75-80
Cool: 64
Night: 62

Are these temperatures too cold for a baby Hermann's?

Any input on the enclosure would be great! This is my first time so I'm still learning.

Btw: I will be adding some succulents and other tortoise safe plants this weekend.

In case anyone is wondering: my baby has been super active and eating lots, Ellington is even taking food from me. He/she loves her cuttlebone and also likes the orchard grass I added to his/her food.

Link to pics (the posted ones got turned around funny):
http://i3.minus.com/igve8krXuHHGs.JPG
http://i5.minus.com/iG6jS59adgJY8.JPG
http://i4.minus.com/inpzMYBQn32TW.JPG

Attachments

• photo (4).JPG
    photo (4).JPG
    356.2 KB · Views: 87
  • photo (5).JPG
    photo (5).JPG
    502.8 KB · Views: 62
  • photo (6).JPG
    photo (6).JPG
    406.2 KB · Views: 48

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Congrats. The enclosure looks pretty good. The plants you will be adding will help with the humidity and make the enclosure that much nicer. I don't know much about hermanns, but for a baby, I would think the temps of 64-62 would be a little too cold. But hopefully a hermanns member will be on soon to confirm.

robopeen

5 Year Member
SF Bay Area
wellington said:
Congrats. The enclosure looks pretty good. The plants you will be adding will help with the humidity and make the enclosure that much nicer. I don't know much about hermanns, but for a baby, I would think the temps of 64-62 would be a little too cold. But hopefully a hermanns member will be on soon to confirm.

That's what I'm worried about. I don't know how to keep it that much warmer though. Perhaps an area heater near by.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Most of us will cover 1/2 to 3/4 of the enclosure. Helps hold in heat and humidity. Do you have a night time heat source? A che(ceramic heat emitter) works great for night time. They last forever, no light, only heat. They aren't two expensive either. Just make sure you use a ceramic socket. Do not use any coil type bulbs, they cause eye problems.

robopeen

5 Year Member
SF Bay Area
wellington said:
Most of us will cover 1/2 to 3/4 of the enclosure. Helps hold in heat and humidity. Do you have a night time heat source? A che(ceramic heat emitter) works great for night time. They last forever, no light, only heat. They aren't two expensive either. Just make sure you use a ceramic socket. Do not use any coil type bulbs, they cause eye problems.

I got a CHE this afternoon and have had it set up, I'm just going to leave it on all the time until it gets warmer here. It's only 100 watt though, should I upgrade to a 150 watt?

I put a towel over most of the enclosure now, all the way up to the CHE and basking light.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The 100 should be okay. But only you can tell. Check the temps in the enclosure with only the CHE on at night, and see how warm it is. I have only one on my leopard, however, he is in a room with the heat from a Uromastyx lizard and red eye tree frogs, so their heat helps to warm the whole room. Is still too cool, add another or bump it up to the bigger one. Also, something more solid then a towel might help hold heat in better also.

I think if you get the night temps to around 70 that is high enough. As long as they can warm up with higher temps during the day.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Can you put your CHE on a thermostat? Rather than checking all night for proper temps, you can set and feel sure. I would cover the top with plywood to better trap the heat. This will help your electric bill out in the long run. I'm not schooled on Hermans but I would think night time temps of +5 degrees from an adult would work.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Have you seen this Herman's care thread? If you scroll down, he mentions temps.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-63799.html

I think if your basking area is warm enough (sounds like they are), those temps might be OK.
And your tort sounds quite healthy, eating well, so that might mean conditions are right.

Like the idea of a couple of plants; nice enclosure!

robopeen

5 Year Member
SF Bay Area
lynnedit said:
Have you seen this Herman's care thread? If you scroll down, he mentions temps.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-63799.html

I think if your basking area is warm enough (sounds like they are), those temps might be OK.
And your tort sounds quite healthy, eating well, so that might mean conditions are right.

Like the idea of a couple of plants; nice enclosure!

My temps are, yeah, a little too low. Maybe the higher watt CHE will help.

Cowboy_Ken said:
Can you put your CHE on a thermostat? Rather than checking all night for proper temps, you can set and feel sure. I would cover the top with plywood to better trap the heat. This will help your electric bill out in the long run. I'm not schooled on Hermans but I would think night time temps of +5 degrees from an adult would work.

Plywood is a good idea, but bulky, is there something thinner I can use? I'll look into getting a thermostat assuming they're not too much.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Check eBay for a zoomed thermostat. Fairly cheap. With the plywood you can attach your CHE securely.

Status
Not open for further replies.