First Enclosure

TKL

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Toronto, Canada
Hello all, for the past 3 weeks I've been reading the forum trying to get as much information as I can in anticipation of receiving my first Tortoise!

I've just finished setting up my enclosure for my baby leopard tortoise which will arrive on either Wednesday or Thursday. I'm so excited I can hardly wait! The dimensions are 2'W4'L30"H. For substrate I'm using a 2:1 ratio of Eco Earth and Jungle Mix with a layer of Sphagnum moss on top. For lighting I have a 125W MVB, and I'm using a 100W CHE on a thermostat for night time heat.

In the mean time I'm just trying to make sure that I get the temperature and humidity right. As of now my temps are:Basking spot 100F, Hot end 94F, Cool End 86F, and Night time 84F. The Humidity right now ranges from 60% on the warm end to 76% on the cool end. To raise the humidity should I just be adding more water to the substrate or should I consider adding a humidifier?

Any and all comments, criticisms and advice are welcome :)
Best Regards, Tobin.

Attachments

• WP_20140323_001.jpg
    WP_20140323_001.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 83
  • WP_20140323_002.jpg
    WP_20140323_002.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 80
  • WP_20140323_003.jpg
    WP_20140323_003.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 80

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Tobin, and welcome to the Forum!

I really like what you've done to the habitat. Where did you find the stump and the 'fallen log'? I wouldn't mind having some of those for my babies.

Its a personal choice, and totally up to you, but if it were me, I would gather up all that moss, moisten it, and stuff it in the different hiding places, making several humid hides. It just seems like all that loose fluffy stuff would be hard for a baby to walk on.

TKL

10 Year Member!
Toronto, Canada
Yvonne G said:
Hi Tobin, and welcome to the Forum!

I really like what you've done to the habitat. Where did you find the stump and the 'fallen log'? I wouldn't mind having some of those for my babies.

Its a personal choice, and totally up to you, but if it were me, I would gather up all that moss, moisten it, and stuff it in the different hiding places, making several humid hides. It just seems like all that loose fluffy stuff would be hard for a baby to walk on.

Thanks Yvonne, I did as you suggested and soaked the moss and packed it in when I replaced it inside the enclosure. As for the sump and log, I just picked them up from my local petsmart.