First Enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Logan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
U.K.
Hi Guys,

I've just got my first Tortoise and Im looking to do up the enclosure. I was thinking of making it out of wood, but as I am in the UK and will have to keep it indoors I was told it can get really smelly. So the guy recommended a large cage.

Pretty much like this but bigger...
http://www.petplanet.co.uk/product.asp?dept_id=393&pf_id=53508

I was thinking of making a paint and sand mix to paint the base, sides and hut. making it look a bit more interesting.

Is paint a good idea & safe??

Any paints I should avoid??

Thanks

Aaron

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
My torts are not very big, about one year old. They have always lived inside with trips outside for sunshine. They do not smell at all. The were in an aquaium for about 6 month and are now in a wood tort table. I pick out the poop a couple times a day and any left over food. They are vegitarian tortoises, maybe that in why they don't stink. In all honesty their poop does not even stink and I am very sensitive to odors.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
mine do have a smell, its not like cat or dog,, but it has an odor to it. But I have sulcatas, so bigger poops!
what kind of tort do you have? If you make a wooden table, just line it with plastic painters sheeting or a shwer curtain. that will make it last longer and keep the wood dry. Some torts need more moisture then others.

if you get a bookcase and lay it down, remove the shelves, that makes for a good tort table. those rabbit cages are good for outside since they have a wire top on them.

Logan

5 Year Member
U.K.
Well I already have the cage. So it's the paint I'm curious about. It's a Mediterranean tortoise. Still trying to work out which type. If I post a pick will someone confirm?

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
I use paint on all of my indoor enclosure. A good quality, light colored, semi-gloss (or gloss) latex alkyd enamel is safe around animals and people, will hold up to many years of use, is easy to clean and gives off no fumes once cured. It holds up very well to moisture. I've never had any problems with the finish. Most of my enclosures have been in service for nearly 25 years and I've only had to repaint most of them once, a few of them twice in that time. A lot of it has to do with what species you are keeping and how distructive they may be. I keep only Northern Mediterranean species most of which are not diggers and are not very distructive. However some of the larger adults can mess just about anything up!

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
AZ
I would highly recommend a 2 part epoxy to coat the inside of a bookcase. Other cages can be plastic mortar tubs, preform ponds, baby trundles.

Sure, untreated wood will get wet and will stink so u want to prepare for a humid environment. Also easier to clean up.

jobeanator

10 Year Member!
northern new york
i use shower liners also that helps the wood from rotting as fast. I would also reccomend these xmas tree storage bins, as they provide more room for your tortoises during the winter months. they should be coming out soon, since they are only offered around xmas. i have also seen some on ebay for sale but not so cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.