First hibernation !!!

vanessa

5 Year Member
Ok so my 2 outdoor adult turtles I got early this year and I don't know how to properly let them hibernate ! I'm scared that they might die in hibernation . I live in Texas so we don't have really cold winters . My turtles have not hibernated yet . One has a ear abscess.

lkwagner

5 Year Member
The ear abscess needs to be lanced and drained before it gets too big and constricts it's airway. Not sure about hibernation

edwardbo

5 Year Member
Vanesa ,please attend to your turtles healh issues soon and in a responable manner . that abcess is very pain full, let us know what you have done to heal this animal. many posts on wintering, read them.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Vanessa:

I would not allow the ear abscess turtle to hibernate this year. You might lose him. Have that tended to by a vet, then set him up indoors.

My box turtles hibernate under a big pile of leaves and garden trash. Choose the highest spot in their pen, then make a pile of leaves. The other turtle (not the sick one) should dig himself in under the leaf pile. Then, once he's in there, just keep adding more garden trash until he's under a big mound.