First Post!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Shelly that is just dried mud...my guys get like that as well....especially if it has rained and they burrow :}

The Mojave Kid

5 Year Member
Barstow, CA
ascott said:
Awesome...and yup we share the same weather....how did they do with the crazy volume of rain and freezing weather at the start of the year? I was not able to leave mine out for the entire winter....actually had to dig em out by hand ....we were subjected to crazy amounts of rain /flooding as we live below the mountains a out a mile below the base.....I have always been an advocate for letting them remain outside 24/7 and pretty much still am....but kinda sucks because I don't know if I will chance it again this coming winter.....?

Very nice....I have spoken with Dave Lamfrom a bit about natural viewing sites that are guaranteed CDT sightings as well as Bighorn Sheep viewing.....I have a friend at DEFY that I was privileged to assist in the release of tort back into the desert out by you...luckily the person who helped the tortoise out had the sense to not allow anything to come into co.tact with the wild tort and called right away so the tortoise was eligible to be put back....so very cool and nerv racking making sure they go back to advantageous spot.....I have four adult males....they all have separate yards as they are all full of themselves LOL my except my old man--he has horrible eye sight and so he has a yard right up next to the front porch and sleeps indoors at night for his safety....

Yeah the beginning of this year was pretty harsh and normally what I do is fill the burrows with leaf litter then cover the entrances but Two of my males recently decided to "re-arrange" their burrows so This past hibernation I actually had to move them into boxes in our garage because the burrows now flood. Just a couple of days ago when we had that downpour here Zeus's burrow actually filled up with him in it without me knowing! But I came out to find him sitting outside of his burrow angry because he had to move more than he wanted! hahah He actually even tried to go back into the flooded burrow! I found that really weird..But I am an advocate for leaving them as well. Everything thing they need occurs naturally here so why mess with a good thing! lol

And David is a very good friend of mine and he is one of the best people I know! And thats awesome! Releasing a rehab tortoise is one of the most rewarding things I have ever done! I can see where you are coming from with the males...all of mine are in one large enclosure for now which is soon to be split into smaller individual ones but they are typical males especially in the spring when its time to breed! lol And aww poor old tort those ones need the most love for sure! Glad they found a good home in you!

Shelly said:
Why does this one look like it's covered with ashes?
IMG_5192.jpg

Yeah sorry! Black and white probably wasn't the best choice but its all i had! lol It is just dry mud and its from her waterlogged burrow. I promise I don't stoke my fire place with her! :D

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I think I will likely winter box my guys this winter....I can't handle the stress LOL...and last year during the crazy rain/flooding I had to patrol one of my guys burrow as it was flooding and he was so hidden I could not get to him safely for him...so rubber boots, rain slicker and spade shovel in hand kept the water from flooding in by every 20-30 minutes digging/clearing trenches routing water away from his burrow...and he had no idea of the treachery at ground level LOL...my son was my time announcer....every 20 minutes he would say...time to check on Haus ....very funny, now :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Shelly said:
Why does this one look like it's covered with ashes?

Because its a black and white picture???

Hi The Mojave Kid:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know your name and where you are (Barstow?)?

Here's a shot of my desert tortoise habitat:

6-14-11enclosures-2.jpg

That's Mi-shell in the picture. She's my first desert tortoise and is about 70 years old (she was full grown when I got her about 35 years ago. The smaller pens in front of the big pen are quarantine and Texas tortoise pens, and the pen at the bottom of the picture is where Dudley (sulcata) lives.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Yvonne, I love when you flash pics of your place...am SOOOOOO jealous of all of the green.....I can feel the cool breeze whispering through your trees now....ahhhh, margarita in hand feet up on a tree stump watching the tortoise go by... ahhh, thanks for the moment :D

The Mojave Kid

5 Year Member
Barstow, CA
Hi The Mojave Kid:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know your name and where you are (Barstow?)?

Oh jeez I knew i forgot something! haha sorry!

Heres a little Bio:

My name is Lucas Basulto I am a 20 year old Undergraduate preparing to transfer to either UAT (University of Arizona Tucson) or HSU (Humboldt State) to major in Environmental Biology and Applied Vertebrate Ecology. I have really been around DT's since I was about 5 years young and I have been hooked ever since! I have done a few internships with the Mojave National Preserve/National Park Service surveying power lines in the preserve to get a count on hatchling-juvenile mortality rates brought on by raven predation. Also like I mentioned, I am published in a book about desert tortoises, "Tortoise Through the Lens", that is probably my proudest achievement because 100% the proceeds go directly to Desert Tortoise conservation. So I encourage you all to check it out! (Aside from my shameless plug) I simply love my shelled comrades and I plan to return to this desert to aid in the fight to preserve this species. As some of you may know the Desert Tortoise EAST of the colorado river have been classified as Gopherus morafkai which means the range of Gopherus agassizii has now been reduced to 30% of what it once was. So I hope to help as much as I can! Oh and yes I live in Barstow. :p

Also Emysemys: that is a beautiful set-up you have there! You have some lucky tortoises! I wish I had that much room! haha

Status
Not open for further replies.