First time tortoise owner Help please!! (adding hay to substrate?)

Luke1027

Location (City and/or State)
York
Hi all,

I have my horse field tortoise on soil indoors and was wanting to add some hay for her to hide in as I have heard and seen some good things about it, I have also heard that hay should not be added. Please help as I’m confused to if the hay will be an help or hazard to my tortoise.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi all,

I have my horse field tortoise on soil indoors and was wanting to add some hay for her to hide in as I have heard and seen some good things about it, I have also heard that hay should not be added. Please help as I’m confused to if the hay will be an help or hazard to my tortoise.
Russians are not grass eaters, so hay serves no purpose and is a mold hazard. It doesn't keep an ectotherm warm. No point in it.

Read this for current and correct care info:

Luke1027

York
Wow that was a very fast response. Thank you very much for you help. I won’t be adding it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If you're looking for something he can burrow down into, see if you can find some edible leaves, like grape leaves or mulberry leaves. As the leaves die they're still good to eat, and generally speaking, they don't mold or cause problems. I hibernate my Russians in piles of mulberry leaves inside their hibernaculum . . . but then, It's totally covered and doesn't get wet at all.