First time tortoise owner in Canada

Michalla

Hi there,
My name is Michalla and Charlie is my redfoot tortoise, he is about 4 months old and super sweet. Its been a learning curve but I am excited for the adventures the future holds for us. This forum has been excellent with providing valuable information.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
Hi @Michalla and welcome to the forum. :tort:

Please read the "Beginners Mistakes" Thread, and post pictures of your tort and his/her enclosure so as to enable us to help you more easily. :)

What is the weather like back there, now?

Michalla

Here is a picture of cute little Charlie, and his home. (Side note: the cage does have a cover so I am able to regulate humidity and temperature, and my brother is in the process of building me a more suitable home for my little guy,)

Attachments

• Charlie!.jpg
    Charlie!.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 22
  • Charlie's Home1.jpg
    Charlie's Home1.jpg
    259.5 KB · Views: 21
  • Charlie's Home2.jpg
    Charlie's Home2.jpg
    334.1 KB · Views: 21

Michalla

Hi @Michalla and welcome to the forum. :tort:

Please read the "Beginners Mistakes" Thread, and post pictures of your tort and his/her enclosure so as to enable us to help you more easily. :)

What is the weather like back there, now?

I read that thread and it was very helpful thank you!!!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Charlie is very cute :)

I recommend changing the water bowl as those pet store reptile bowls are both a tipping hazard and difficult for a tortoise to use.

A terracotta plant saucer sunk into the substrate makes a much better, and safer, water bowl.

A piece of flat rock or slate makes a good food plate that helps with beak maintenance while your tort eats.

We look forward to seeing your tort's new home. Don't be afraid to ask us while you're setting it up - we can help you get it perfect straight away :)

Michalla

Charlie is very cute :)

I recommend changing the water bowl as those pet store reptile bowls are both a tipping hazard and difficult for a tortoise to use.

A terracotta plant saucer sunk into the substrate makes a much better, and safer, water bowl.

A piece of flat rock or slate makes a good food plate that helps with beak maintenance while your tort eats.

We look forward to seeing your tort's new home. Don't be afraid to ask us while you're setting it up - we can help you get it perfect straight away :)
Thank you so much. I will for sure take that all into consideration!! Quick question how much should he be eating? I give him a variety of veggies and he eats but it doesn't look like he eats a lot,

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Start with a mound of food roughly the size of his shell. If he eats it all then let him have more.

It's not unusual for eating to be slow for a new tortoise. I find feeding straight after a morning soak seems to stimulate appetite

Michalla

The guy at the pet store said that I should supplement his diet with Zoo Med Tortoise food (I attached a picture) so that he gets everything he needs. Is this right? I've just been giving him a tiny bit a day a long with his veggies.

tortoise food.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If he'll eat it, it's an ok supplement to add to his greens. But wet it to soften it.

Michalla

Can anyone tell me what temperature my enclosure should be at night for my little babes? thanks in advance!