First tortoise table

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaggieeNicolee

5 Year Member
Hi, I'm new to owning a sulcata and I will be attempting to construct a tortoise table, right now he is between 4-6 months old, so little and living in the wrong type enclosure apparently.
Right now I have about 18 inches by 28 inches to work with.
That's indoors, I have much more room to work with if I do an outdoor table
however we have so much good natural safe grass that would be going to waste if I did a table, but I can't leave him outside all day it'll get to hot and I'll loose him in my five acre un enclosed yard. Plus there's a dog that lives near me and horses next door so He will get hurt.

If you have any advice for me that would be great, I can tell he's bored with his enclosure now because he keeps climbing and trying to push the walls and digging. But doing a table as opposed to this enclosure will drastically increase the draft

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Orange County, So Cal
Be sure, must-must-must, to read Tom's threads in the sulcata section.
You will love the information on how to raise your little sulcata to keep it from being spikey scutes gone pyramided. Read the info over there, often, but in a nutshell it is best to be thinking in terms of a closed chamber so you keep his home hot and humid. It is not what you read in old books that is rather old school. Tom has wonderful pics of what he does and the best part is seeing the results, evidenced based results, from the fine keepers on this forum. You will love what you read and your little baby can thrive, not just survive! When you also read about the hot and humid conditions in Africa when hatchlings are born, how they hide so they do not get eaten, in hot and humid burrows, it all starts to make sense. Woo hoo! : )

ScottishFish

5 Year Member
Scotland
5 acres is a good size! Im sure you could enclose a nice area for your tort? Even 10ftx10ft would be a great start for just a young one. Buy some second hand cinder blocks to lay out the perimeter and then buy some squared fencing to put across the top, that will allow for sun to get in but to keep all other potential predators out. As the above poster said, read Toms threads!!

'Or like the snow falls in the river,
A moment white, then melts forever'
~Robert Burns - Tam O' Shanter

0.0.1 Testudo hermanni boettgeri

Jd3

5 Year Member
18x28 just isn't enough. I know this sucks and I know what it is like to not have room. Unfortunately these guys need a good bit of room. I'd you can't dedicate a size able spot inside or better outside, then maybe the better course would be finding this guy a suitable home now am revisiting in a few years when you've got a home of your own and room to roam?

I was In this same spot a decade ago and gave up my wood turtle. The stars aligned and I got him back a few years ago after the new owners weren't able to provide the care needed anymore.

I know it is sad, but think of it as more what the animal needs than what we want. I know it is hard to see how a little bugger could need so much space but imagine you being penned in your bathroom long term....

When presented this way people usually figure out how to make it work one way or another.... Best of luck to you and your tort.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
MaggieeNicolee said:
Hi, I'm new to owning a sulcata and I will be attempting to construct a tortoise table, right now he is between 4-6 months old, so little and living in the wrong type enclosure apparently.

Who said using a tank was wrong and you needed a table? Have they raised sulcata hatchlings? How do theirs look, smooth or pyramiding?

A tank (although, larger than your current one) can make a great closed chamber. It's what I use. If you want to raise your sully smooth then a table is the wrong move.

Considering your large land you should build a secure, predator proof pen for him to spend a few hours in. There are MANY examples on here to copy :)

Jd3

5 Year Member
Team Gomberg said:
MaggieeNicolee said:

Who said using a tank was wrong and you needed a table? Have they raised sulcata hatchlings? How do theirs look, smooth or pyramiding?

A tank (although, larger than your current one) can make a great closed chamber. It's what I use. If you want to raise your sully smooth then a table is the wrong move.

Considering your large land you should build a secure, predator proof pen for him to spend a few hours in. There are MANY examples on here to copy :)

Oh and I missed that about the tank! These old sources about tanks and humidity really need to be purged from the world!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Status
Not open for further replies.