First Tortoise.

Marius5013

Location (City and/or State)
Stenløse, Denmark.
Hello there, my name is Marius and I'm new to both the forum and the tortoise world in general.
I'm getting a Greek tortoise soon for free by someone I know (they have five, don't know specific species) and I'll be making a tortoise table for him before I go and get him. I've read the Greek tortoise care sheet, but I've still got a few questions.

Question 1: Lighting and heat.

I've been looking at the ExoTerra Heat Glo Infared 150 watt and the Day Glo Spot 150 watt as they suggest this combination for a 24 hour cycle. By this do they mean I have the Day Glo turned on during the day and the Heat Glo during the night? Btw I'm getting the Habistat Dimming night/day as Exo Terra suggest a dimming thermostat with the Heat Glo. It's a bit confusing for me, so I'd like a few suggestions as to how I handle the lighting.

Question 2: Now I think about it, that's more or less the only thing I'm having trouble with. I'd really like a 24 hour cycle where the light dims and the temperature decreases into the night.

Any tips and suggestions related to keeping my tortoise healthy and happy is appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
1. Where are you getting this information from?

Red bulbs can confuse tortoise into eating unwanted material in their enclosures. It may be too disorienting for some people and tortoises. I do not recommend using them.

Greek tortoises do not necessarily require night time heating unless temperatures fall below 65-60F. Use a ceramic heat emitter or reptile heating panel if your enclosure gets too cold. Again, do not use a red bulb.

2. What do you plan to use for UV(B) lighting? You've only suggest two basking bulbs. Basking bulbs should be set for 12-14 hour daily cycles.

I'm afraid I cannot help you find a dimming fixture because I have not considered doing so. Someone else with more experience with dimming equipment will be more helpful here.

Here is a care sheet on Greek tortoises. Please do not use sand as a substrate. I have also included a care sheet on Russian tortoises. Care advice for Russians and Greeks are quite similar:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/greek-tortoise-testudo-graeca-care-sheet-overview.87146/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

Marius5013

Stenløse, Denmark.
1. Where are you getting this information from?

Red bulbs can confuse tortoise into eating unwanted material in their enclosures. It may be too disorienting for some people and tortoises. I do not recommend using them.

Greek tortoises do not necessarily require night time heating unless temperatures fall below 65-60F. Use a ceramic heat emitter or reptile heating panel if your enclosure gets too cold. Again, do not use a red bulb.

2. What do you plan to use for UV(B) lighting? You've only suggest two basking bulbs. Basking bulbs should be set for 12-14 hour daily cycles.

I'm afraid I cannot help you find a dimming fixture because I have not considered doing so. Someone else with more experience with dimming equipment will be more helpful here.

Here is a care sheet on Greek tortoises. Please do not use sand as a substrate. I have also included a care sheet on Russian tortoises. Care advice for Russians and Greeks are quite similar:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/greek-tortoise-testudo-graeca-care-sheet-overview.87146/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

I got the information from Exo Terra but didn't exactly want to just go with it before I had asked the forum. I assumed one of the heat/light bulbs I'd talked about emmited UVB light, but I take it that's not the case. After reading you're post, I've decided to not buy a dimming solution as I don't really need it, instead I'll buy a ceramic heat emitter 100 watt, and a UVB light bulb/tube from either Exo Terra or Arcadia, as well as basking spot lamp from either company 100-150 wattage. The substrate will be either one of the three suggested from the Greek caresheet, which is available in my area (except sand I take it). It pleases me to know that night time heating is necesarrily a requirement, as that's what worried me the most. My room very rarely falls under 70 - 75 degrees fahrenheit.

Thank you for the reply, it helped me a great deal.

P.S: When I've bought everything and set it up I'll make a post on the forum just to see if I've made any major flaws, before I go pick the tortoise up.

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom
I use a dimming thermostat as I cannot regulate the heat from my bulb. I checked it once and it had got to 120f but now I don’t have to worry. As long as you can move your basking light up or down to obtain the correct temperate then it will be fine.

Marius5013

Stenløse, Denmark.
I use a dimming thermostat as I cannot regulate the heat from my bulb. I checked it once and it had got to 120f but now I don’t have to worry. As long as you can move your basking light up or down to obtain the correct temperate then it will be fine.

Fortunately, I will be able to move it up and down. Thanks! :)