First tortoise

SCFC92

Location (City and/or State)
Manchester
Hey guys, bought my first tortoise today, just looking for abit of advice, he's spent the first night with us but all night he spent hiding in the corner of his vivarium, I picked him up and moved him towards his food and he moved away and just hid behind a plant and didn't move for like 6 hours, I moved him again and he has ate abit of food now, I dont think he's touched his water though, as you can imagine I'm a little nervous at the moment, is this normal for a new tortoise in a new environment, I have all the right equipment for him, about 32 degrees under his light, tortoise life bio soil based substrate, the vivarium I bought was a starter kit so comes with everything you need.

Thanks.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Welcome! Here's a great "bible" for first timers. Its a lot of info but well worth the read...

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
What species of tortoise do you have? Welcome to the forum

AmandaF

Congresbury
Hey guys, bought my first tortoise today, just looking for abit of advice, he's spent the first night with us but all night he spent hiding in the corner of his vivarium, I picked him up and moved him towards his food and he moved away and just hid behind a plant and didn't move for like 6 hours, I moved him again and he has ate abit of food now, I dont think he's touched his water though, as you can imagine I'm a little nervous at the moment, is this normal for a new tortoise in a new environment, I have all the right equipment for him, about 32 degrees under his light, tortoise life bio soil based substrate, the vivarium I bought was a starter kit so comes with everything you need.

Thanks.
Welcome to the forum, the people here are so knowledgeable, they will be able to help you.
congrats on your first tortoise x

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

I have all the right equipment for him...
That is unlikely.

...about 32 degrees under his light,...
Should be 36-37C

tortoise life bio soil based substrate...
Wrong stuff. Soil and sand should never be used for tortoise substrate.

the vivarium I bought was a starter kit so comes with everything you need.
Store bought vivariums can be great for starting babies, but all of them are far too small for adults. Is your tortoise a baby or an adult? The thread linked by SinLA will explain a lot of this, and there is a care sheet for your species at the bottom.

It is normal for a new tortoise to take a few days to settle in to a new place, but it is also normal for people to get told all the wrong info and sold all the wrong stuff, which complicates the process. We will help you if you let us.

SCFC92

Manchester
Hello and welcome.

That is unlikely.

Should be 36-37C

Wrong stuff. Soil and sand should never be used for tortoise substrate.

Store bought vivariums can be great for starting babies, but all of them are far too small for adults. Is your tortoise a baby or an adult? The thread linked by SinLA will explain a lot of this, and there is a care sheet for your species at the bottom.

It is normal for a new tortoise to take a few days to settle in to a new place, but it is also normal for people to get told all the wrong info and sold all the wrong stuff, which complicates the process. We will help you if you let us.
This was just the advice I was given by the store, mine is a baby, I actually saw someone say it should be about 35 so I did let mine go up to 35 today, I just wanna do my very best to give it the best life possible hence why I have joined this forum

Thanks

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Going back to that original link provided, pet stores are a TERRIBLE source of information:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This was just the advice I was given by the store, mine is a baby, I actually saw someone say it should be about 35 so I did let mine go up to 35 today, I just wanna do my very best to give it the best life possible hence why I have joined this forum

Thanks
I understand. This happens to everyone. We are happy to help you achieve your goal! Read that thread, and then let's talk some more. :)