Fish eggs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kymiie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Nottinghamshire, UK
Ive googled this but i dunno!
We have 2 gold fish, and one keeps staying behind a rock in bottom of tank! I looked today and there are like white gravel? We only put black gravel in tank? So could these be eggs? Looked on google but this looks like white gravel not fish eggs,,,, help? Xx

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Goldfish eggs are very small, the size of a head of a pin, and white. If you have two fish in the tank, odds are there would not be any eggs left. They eat them just as fast as they lay them. I usually catch mine spawning early in the morning right before lights on. If I want to save any of the eggs I have to move fast with a net and scoop them out.

Some cheaper made gravels will lose their color over time. Can you give me some more details? What size tank? Filtration? Lighting? Feeding schedule? What kind of goldfish? Sitting on the bottom like that is not a good sign. Maybe we can figure the problem and fix it.

Kymiie

5 Year Member
Nottinghamshire, UK
Kristina said:
Goldfish eggs are very small, the size of a head of a pin, and white. If you have two fish in the tank, odds are there would not be any eggs left. They eat them just as fast as they lay them. I usually catch mine spawning early in the morning right before lights on. If I want to save any of the eggs I have to move fast with a net and scoop them out.

Some cheaper made gravels will lose their color over time. Can you give me some more details? What size tank? Filtration? Lighting? Feeding schedule? What kind of goldfish? Sitting on the bottom like that is not a good sign. Maybe we can figure the problem and fix it.

Erm its my sisters tanks so im guessing this info! Its a round plastic tank 50-60ltr maybe? Fed every night! We have a gold fish and a white fish dont know breed but are the same as pet shop advised us! They have been together a year and only past few week white one been doing this! They small fish not old! The filter came with the tank and us working! Light works!
Last month my sis bought a algi fish.. To help clean tank but no sign of fighting! My sis in hospital at mo! So cant give much info! Anyway they not eggs EMBARRISED i got a wooden spoon in tAnk n the pebbles are part of rock lol xx

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Pet shops do not always give the best advice. For two goldfish, you really should have a minimum of 114 liters, and adding a third fish and keeping them all in a 170 liter tank would be better. Goldfish are shoaling fish, which means they are much happier in groups of three or more.

How long since any of the water was changed?

Kymiie

5 Year Member
Nottinghamshire, UK
Obviously not becuase "pets at home" told us fish have to b even or they gang up on newest one!
Not long abo maybe 2-3 weeks ago wen she upgraded the tank x

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Try to change some of the water weekly. Even a pitcher or two full will help. I usually do about 25% of the total water volume weekly.

As far as them being even or they will pick on each other, that is the silliest thing I have ever heard ;) That is why we keep them in ODD numbers. If you have only two, and one is aggressive and one is not, then the not aggressive one is going to get picked on constantly. If you have three, and one is aggressive, then the picking will be spread out between the two not aggressive fish. When you keep tetras, for instance, you should always have an odd group - 5, 7, 9, 11, etc. Goldfish aren't typically aggressive (although males can be very persistent when trying to get the females to spawn) so typically a group of 3 is enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.