Flashing/blinking MVB issues

DARKFIRE007

Location (City and/or State)
Birmingham Alabama
I have used an MVB with no issues for 10 months...I went to change it and the new one would come on and go out after a few seconds, then it would come on and go instantly out and repeat. I rewired the fixture, all lights were working fine in it except this bulb. I had the seller ship me a replacement bulb, and I bought a new fixture only to get the same problem.

Have I just gotten two bad bulbs? I checked and I am under the 160 watt max so that isn't it either. $80 later and I am still on what I consider emergency lighting.

These are the big things like the powersun or similar brands.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This is a common problem with MVBs and just one of several reasons why I don't recommend them anymore.

You should be using a large domed ceramic fixture. These bulbs have an automatic shut off when they get too hot. In a smaller dome or a deep dome, they will over heat. If they were the same wattage, I don't know why the other one would stay on, but the two news ones are over heating. The other bulb might have had a heat sensor that was set a little higher?

In any case, you would be much better served by a low wattage regulate incandescent flood bulb from the hardware store, and a long florescent HO tube for UV and light.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I had this happen with three new bulbs. I can't remember the brand but purchased from chewy.com. One bulb blinked on and off and two others just went out. Chewy replaced them. Then two of the replacement bulbs went out and/or blinked, so chewy replaced them. Luckily I finally got all ones that would work. Won't purchase them again.
What brand are yours and you shouldn't eat the cost, call the place of purchase if online or take them back to the store.

DARKFIRE007

Birmingham Alabama
I had this happen with three new bulbs. I can't remember the brand but purchased from chewy.com. One bulb blinked on and off and two others just went out. Chewy replaced them. Then two of the replacement bulbs went out and/or blinked, so chewy replaced them. Luckily I finally got all ones that would work. Won't purchase them again.
What brand are yours and you shouldn't eat the cost, call the place of purchase if online or take them back to the store.

The brand was Flukers. And I have already told the seller I consider the matter closed, he waved the return procedure and sent a replacement without me even sending the defective one back so I told him to check his supplier and maybe the shipping process for damage that might be happening. He is a good guy so I am not going to keep on. In the end I lost 30 bucks...the fixture I am keeping is that 40 dollar zoomed dual deep dome beast.

I have tried other lighting like the 10.0 uvb and heat bulbs and the torts behavior is lethargic at best. I use the MVB because they bask regularly but not all the time and are active. It just works better for them.

I am in the meantime taking them outside for a couple hours of sun every day after feeding.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The brand was Flukers. And I have already told the seller I consider the matter closed, he waved the return procedure and sent a replacement without me even sending the defective one back so I told him to check his supplier and maybe the shipping process for damage that might be happening. He is a good guy so I am not going to keep on. In the end I lost 30 bucks...the fixture I am keeping is that 40 dollar zoomed dual deep dome beast.

I have tried other lighting like the 10.0 uvb and heat bulbs and the torts behavior is lethargic at best. I use the MVB because they bask regularly but not all the time and are active. It just works better for them.

I am in the meantime taking them outside for a couple hours of sun every day after feeding.
Unless you need to use the mvb for the reasons you stated, even now with being able to take them outside, I get it. However, if your getting them outside 3-4 days a week for a couple hours you can save the mvb for when they can't go out in the colder months. Once my torts can go outside I don't use a uvb bulb until the cold temps set in again.

DARKFIRE007

Birmingham Alabama
Unless you need to use the mvb for the reasons you stated, even now with being able to take them outside, I get it. However, if your getting them outside 3-4 days a week for a couple hours you can save the mvb for when they can't go out in the colder months. Once my torts can go outside I don't use a uvb bulb until the cold temps set in again.

That would be nice...just use a CHE to keep them warm at night and use normal sunlight all summer. I burn a CHE 24 hours a day because I am a child of A/C and that part of the house is really cool.