Flavo's

Turtlepete

Location (City and/or State)
South Florida
I received five of these little beauties a couple weeks ago, but have never shared any pics of them. But tonight I'm in a photo-sharing mood, so here they are
wink.png

6be2a076-e867-414c-b1b9-abbb6d0c11b5_zps21e30e1e.jpg

972A9F9F-5809-4985-BF79-8D69DDE08B35_zpsxjjrvcqf.jpg

742291E8-3654-4A30-AF35-ABF62747F9E9_zpsosxtaxqd.jpg

6901B152-4CF0-4ED9-8070-2CAAC64919F3_zpsdsvfgmku.jpg

57BE4D7F-AE7B-4DB6-83D9-BA1F1E9D55D9_zpsazdqjzti.jpg

C705E7C3-2081-4A44-95B9-E7453E0C21E7_zps9u8ngj5a.jpg

turtlemanfla88

Charlie,
I just got some the other day from TSA. I work with some older animals,but these are adorable and more out going then other Cuora species.

Turtlepete

South Florida
Charlie,
I just got some the other day from TSA. I work with some older animals,but these are adorable and more out going then other Cuora species.

These came from TSA as well. Excited to work with them as part of a program. They are cute little guys for sure. I'll be moving them outdoors into a 4x8 setup by the summer. Curious how many years it will be until they are ready to produce. I imagine 6-7 at the earliest?
Have you ever produced this species?

CharlieM

10 Year Member!
So FL
I was too late getting any TSA hatchlings this year. I did try.
Glad there will be more being produced here down the road.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
If you ever get in an "animal sharing mood" please think of me, terrestrials only though. LOL

That's a great series of images. I'm glad the Cuora are catching on so much. A friend from the Philly zoo has been into them for 30 years. I can't imagine what his collections looks like, crazy great no doubt. He lamented when galbinfrons went from $10 each to $25 each at some of the local shows. Crazy crazy.

Turtlepete

South Florida
I don't see any notches in the marginals!!! What's up wit dat!?

Tell me about it! If I knew how to I would consider tipping them a little more. Plus, one of them was tipped incorrectly, as two of them have the exact same tips on the same marginals :-/. One had a deeper one in one spot then the other, so I pretty much just had to choose which is which.

Will do, @Will ;). And man, add that (how easily obtainable Cuora were back then, albeit impossible to keep alive) to the ever-growing list of reasons I wish daily I was born in the 70's….I'm sure everyone wishes they knew what would happen, with some species becoming so rare, back then, for many reasons. A friend of mine tells me a story all the time about how at one point he had 30 something egyptians, and sold them all for about $40 a piece!
I'm falling in love with this genus, for sure. Really hope to be able to add more species in the future…

What kind of diet does everyone use for these guys? I feed them Reptomin, Mazuri aquatic and turtle brittle every other day, and then leave scattered greens and vegetables for them to browse on in-between. They seem to grow so fast as it is, I'm nervous about over-feeding them, as I know Cuora are very susceptible to that marginal flaring from overfeeding….

turtlemanfla88

Turtlepete,
I feed mine once a day sometimes twice. I use Reptomin most of the time. I also, use mazuri, zoo-med aquatic turtle food. I also raise my own produce, native mulberry,African night crawlers, and optunia cactus into their diet in the spring. Mine are out of the water more then in the water. I can not wait until spring to get them and the rest of my animals outside were they belong. I am going on forty-five and I remember and just found and showed my children old price lists from PETFARM in Miami, Herptofauna in FT. Meyers, Hogtown herp in Gainesville, Glades herp, Tom Cruthfield's, and Strictly reptiles to name a few. I remember buying Flavos for $25, Gabinofrons $30-$35, black breast wood turtles $15-$20, spotteds for $25,etc.
where do you get turtle brittle from?. I also want to work with more Cuora species. I work with 28-30 species some are common some are not. I am building my assurance colonies up.

Turtlepete

South Florida
Wow. Sure would've been awesome to be around back then. Turtle brittle is that "NASCO turtle brittle" stuff, I buy it from Carolina Pet Supply. Supposedly it was developed by the Atlanta Zoo, which if I recall has a pretty awesome chelonian collection, and they used it for all species there. I used it for ornata and florida boxies as well. They all seem to like it. I never trust more then one pellet anyways though, so I add it for variety.

What other species do you work with? You have Sacalia as well, yes?

turtlemanfla88

We keep the following some are breeding or about to some still small.
Turtles: yellow ponds Mutica Mutica, Kwung-tung/ Nigricans, Flavos, Ambonesis, Vietnamese pond turtles annamensis ( want females heavy males), ocadia sinensis,subglosa, rhinoclemmys manni,rhinoclemmys incisa,black marsh,FLA snappers,FLA softshells,FLA muds,three stripe muds,Eastern muds,razorback musk,stink pots/ common musk,FLA yellow belly,venusta sliders,FLA box,three-toes box,Pennisular cooter,FLA chickens,african muds, megacephala, reeve's,grandis,eastern painteds,spotteds,giant musk turtles and i might of missed a couple of species.
Tortoises: Russians, Forestni, hingeback tortoises, pancakes,sulcata's,burmese blacks, burmese browns,greeks.
Wanted Sacila males need females,FLA muds,cuora species,spiny turtles.