Fleas & fruit flies

jeff kushner

Location (City and/or State)
North of Annapolis
I am getting them in Matilda's 4' x 2' plexiglass covered bin............ I put two sticky-disks in there and even rubbed them with Banana but they aren't landing on them, I have ten more! LOL

Should I get a lizard or 3?

Seriously, I don't want to open the top and let them out into my home....and of course I don't want to do anything to hurt little Matilda.

Kerry suggested a couple of can traps....I dunno, what works for you guys?

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Absolutely no clue, but good luck!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Fleas? That's a new one. The little fruit fly looking things usually will die after just a few days. Years ago when I had them in my leopards enclosure, they would come and go.
The fleas, well, that would take a chemical like used when dogs have them.
You could possibly take her out and close the enclosure for a week or so and they should die off. However any eggs wouldn't.
You could try to drown them.

SuzanneZ

Georgetown
Diatomaceous earth will eventually do in the fleas and would be harmless to Matilda and Wellington said the little flies will die. If they don't die quickly enough for you, I'll give you the kitchen remedy I got online.

SuzanneZ

Georgetown
Diatomaceous earth will eventually do in the fleas and would be harmless to Matilda and Wellington said the little flies will die. If they don't die quickly enough for you, I'll give you the kitchen remedy I got online.
DE will last forever unless it gets wet.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Have you used diatomaceous earth on fleas?
From my years working with animals, fleas were always very hard to get rid of.
Would love to know if the diatomaceous earth works. 🤞I haven't had fleas in ages, but I know a few that fights them every summer.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
DE will last forever unless it gets wet.
I read before that once it dries, it will still work. Do you know if this is true?
I use it on top of my tropical tree containers when I bring them inside. It works great to keep whatever bugs might be in the containers from entering my house. But of course, they have to be watered here and there. The diatomaceous gets wet. I thought getting wet ruined it but Google says it's good once dry.

jsheffield - In Memoriam

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
With fruit flies, I've had good luck with the sticky traps in combination with a trap made from:
  • a soda bottle with a small hole drilled in the screwtop
  • 1/2 cup of apple cider vinegar
  • a few drops of liquid dish soap
Jamie

SuzanneZ

Georgetown
I have used DE and it works. It cuts some insect bodies and they dehydrate. You do have to continually keep it around.
Have you used diatomaceous earth on fleas?
From my years working with animals, fleas were always very hard to get rid of.
Would love to know if the diatomaceous earth works. 🤞I haven't had fleas in ages, but I know a few that fights them every summer.

SuzanneZ

Georgetown
I read before that once it dries, it will still work. Do you know if this is true?
I use it on top of my tropical tree containers when I bring them inside. It works great to keep whatever bugs might be in the containers from entering my house. But of course, they have to be watered here and there. The diatomaceous gets wet. I thought getting wet ruined it but Google says it's good once dry.
Humm. I think I read that on the first bag I ever bought. Haven't read labels since.

Megatron's Mom

North Little Rock, Arkansas
I would not put DE in a tortoise enclosure. That stuff is super fine and can easily get in their lungs. Think of it like shard of glass, that is why it kills some bugs. I don't even use it near my chickens. Wear a mask if you use it in your yard.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would not put DE in a tortoise enclosure. That stuff is super fine and can easily get in their lungs. Think of it like shard of glass, that is why it kills some bugs. I don't even use it near my chickens. Wear a mask if you use it in your yard.
Food grade DE is safe around animals and even people have taken it for some health reasons. Will not hurt you, your chickens or any other animal.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
In the plumbing industry we use DE for filtering, mostly of pools, ponds, fountains. Never knew it's Flea/fruitfly killing abilities!

Looks like Kerry was right Jamie...traps will be the way to go. Thanks guys!

SuzanneZ

Georgetown
I
I meant outside the tortoises' enclosures.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
In the plumbing industry we use DE for filtering, mostly of pools, ponds, fountains. Never knew it's Flea/fruitfly killing abilities!

Looks like Kerry was right Jamie...traps will be the way to go. Thanks guys!
I’m curious how it works for filtering. I was under the impression it it useless when wet