Florida Box turtle

Status
Not open for further replies.

CharlieM

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
So FL
Is it legal to "adopt" a captive Florida Box Turtle in Florida? I understand you cannot buy or sell them here but you can catch and remove two from the wild which I would not do. Seems strange.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
This is excerpted from the Florida Herp Laws:

"No person shall buy, sell or possess for sale any alligator snapping turtle, box turtle, Barbour’s map turtle, river cooter, loggerhead musk turtle, Escambia River map turtle, diamondback terrapins, or parts thereof."

Elsewhere in the rules it says you can have two in your possession but need a permit to have more. I really doubt you can collect them from the wild. More than likely the "two" you are allowed to have probably come from some sort of rescue or grandfathered.

EricIvins

5 Year Member
You are allowed 2 in your possesion. You can take them from the wild, or from a resident that already has some in their possesion. You cannot buy, sell, or trade them when you have them. That means you cannot buy them out of State and have them shipped here either.......

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
emysemys said:
This is excerpted from the Florida Herp Laws:

"No person shall buy, sell or possess for sale any alligator snapping turtle, box turtle, Barbour’s map turtle, river cooter, loggerhead musk turtle, Escambia River map turtle, diamondback terrapins, or parts thereof."

Elsewhere in the rules it says you can have two in your possession but need a permit to have more. I really doubt you can collect them from the wild. More than likely the "two" you are allowed to have probably come from some sort of rescue or grandfathered.

No person shall buy, sell or possess for sale

The money component it the key. The spirit of the law is intended to keep people from going out and gathering them up to sell and make money. No one cares if an individual takes a couple from the wild as personal pets, or if someone gives a couple to you. If you really want one, call around the reptile rescues and wildlife rehabilitators around the state. They may know where to find one that needs a home, like one that used to be someone's pet that they no longer want, or maybe one that was injured & taken to rehab, but unable to be released... If you can't find one that way, call the FWC and see if you can get a permit to import a captive-bred one from out of state. From a conservation standpoint, that should not really matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.