Florida softshell basking all day

Status
Not open for further replies.

aidenb

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Saskatchewan, Canada
I'm not sure if it could be due to the fungus on his shell being treated right now but I've had him since Friday, he ate a bit on Sunday but has been basking almost all day. He opens his eyes if you walk up to him but seems to want to bask, water temp is 80 degrees and basking is 90. Should I just continue to leave him alone for now and let him do what he wants? When should I worry he's not eating or swimming much?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If I'm remembering correctly, this is a pretty young turtle, right? I'm not a water turtle expert, so you may want to wait for more responses, but my first thought was that your water is too warm.

redfoot_mama94

5 Year Member
Maine, USA
Most younguns like the warmer water temps and are generally not very tolerant of colder adult temps, I've never kept fl softshells but id assume with them being a species native to fl 80 would be about the right sounding temp. Wait for someone with more knowledge than myself, but the only thing i can think of is maybe it is swimming when you aren't around, & resting when you are?

Sent from my LG-L38C using TortForum mobile app

aidenb

5 Year Member
Saskatchewan, Canada
mamaturtle94 said:
Most younguns like the warmer water temps and are generally not very tolerant of colder adult temps, I've never kept fl softshells but id assume with them being a species native to fl 80 would be about the right sounding temp. Wait for someone with more knowledge than myself, but the only thing i can think of is maybe it is swimming when you aren't around, & resting when you are?

He seems to retreat to the water at night. Should I be leaving the basking bulb on at night or is 70-75 degree air temp ok for night

Gerards

5 Year Member
Florida
aidenb said:
mamaturtle94 said:

He seems to retreat to the water at night. Should I be leaving the basking bulb on at night or is 70-75 degree air temp ok for night

Leave it how you have it, it's using the basking spot and temp for a reason. If it were to hot it would not be there. They bask a lot when they get that fungus, it helps dry it out and kill it. Just let it be, you're doing the right thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.