Mississippi Map turtle not basking

flyingpenguin

Location (City and/or State)
Tennessee
Hello! Yesterday I moved my Mississippi Map hatchling to a larger tank (40 gallon). In his old tank, he had no issue with basking, but since moving him to the new one, he hasn't been basking (that I have seen). Could he just be scared in his new environment or should I be concerned? Water temperature stays between 77-78 degrees. His basking area stays right around 90 degrees.
Thanks in advance!

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Give it a few days. Your turtle was comfortable before and knew there was no predators going to snatch him away when he basked. This new place is scary and unfamiliar to it right now.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
The Mississippi Map Turtles and their relatives - False and Sabine - are probably the most skittish turtles. They are extremely wary and the last to really settle in and not want to hide. I would give a bit more time and see how it goes. Are there water plants (fake or real) for the turtle to hide and fell secure? very important for young turtles, and especially a turtle like the maps.

flyingpenguin

Tennessee
The Mississippi Map Turtles and their relatives - False and Sabine - are probably the most skittish turtles. They are extremely wary and the last to really settle in and not want to hide. I would give a bit more time and see how it goes. Are there water plants (fake or real) for the turtle to hide and fell secure? very important for young turtles, and especially a turtle like the maps.

Thank you! Yes I have 12 or 13 plants in there for him and a rock cave he likes to go hide in.