When to add a new turtle

TortoiseWoman

5 Year Member
Hello!

I have a two year old Northern Black Knobbed Map turtle, male. He is about 4 inches SCL and lives in a 110 gallon tank with a large above tank basking area. His name is Waffle. I also have a Mississippi Map turtle, about 4-5 months old and about 2 inches SCL. "His" name is Pancake. He is living in a smaller tank with a Common Musk hatchling, Elon. My plan is to put Pancake in with Waffle when he is big enough. My question is, when is he big enough? Should I wait till he's closer in size to Waffle? Obviously if they don't get along I will separate. I do not plan to put Elon in the 110 gallon. I worry that it won't be big enough for all three as adults, especially if Pancake (the Mississippi Map) turns out to be female.

What do ya'll think?

Thanks!

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I have no problem with maps of various sizes together and with musk turtles with them. I will frequently put 4" turtles with 2" turtles. Musk turtles are not going to be bothered by map turtles, however, The common musk - stinkpot - is a notorious tail biter. They love worms, and other turtles tails look just too much like worms. So you may get the other turtles tails nipped. However, this is most seen with longer tailed hatchlings like spotted turtles, or Western Ponds, etc...

TortoiseWoman

5 Year Member
Thanks ya'll. I'll give it a go and see how they do. Let me ask you one more question. Does this look like he's shedding or about to? This is the Mississippi Map. He did not have this when we got him. He has grown fast, to me, in the 2 months we've had him. He keeps eating the food for the musk and that's part of the reason I want to move him to the 110 gallon sooner. I never saw this on my Black Knobbed when he was growing. It's not soft and some of the scutes look like they're coming up. The musk does not have anything like this so I'm thinking it's not shell rot and he's just growing too fast? I dried his shell in this picture, if that makes any difference. I just don't want to spread something to my big tank if it's not just from shedding. Also, it's been like this for several weeks. It's actually a little more obvious now than in this picture.
Tell me what you think, thanks
18192550_10213043670912277_8964308018759489968_o.jpg