Turtle question

Bubblesmom

Location (City and/or State)
Winnfield, La. 71483
I have a 3 year old male (I think) Mississippi Map… he is eating good, although picky as usual, his temps are good, the same as always, water temp 74-76F, basking is 88-90 F, I have replaced the uvb about 2 months ago… he has an above tank basking area. Water parameters are right on target. He’s always active… he plays with the bubbler in the tank constantly. But the last couple of days he is swimming non stop!… I mean nonstop!… is something wrong?? If so, what could it possibly be??? Help please!

Freddy90

Austria
Can u post a picture of ur turtle? Maybe she's female and wants to lay eggs

Bubblesmom

Winnfield, La. 71483
Can u post a picture of ur turtle? Maybe she's female and wants to lay eggs
That’s the best one I have showing tail and nails. I’ll try to get a better one if this one doesn’t help. He had a shorter fat tail and really long nails. I sure hope he’s a he!!

Attachments

• A4FA9381-BB89-48B5-A91D-6FE2CFA2B9BC.jpeg
    A4FA9381-BB89-48B5-A91D-6FE2CFA2B9BC.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 19

Freddy90

Austria
That’s the best one I have showing tail and nails. I’ll try to get a better one if this one doesn’t help. He had a shorter fat tail and really long nails. I sure hope he’s a he!!
Hm.. in this picture I would say hes male with that giant tail. I'm also not sure if it would be a female if it could already lay eggs at 3 years young. Let's wait for some more experienced members and see what they think :)

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Yeah, changes of season (the planet actually tips back-and-forth) are weird. Even when you keep constant environmental parameters indoors.

Is he eating well?
Sleeping when lights are out?

Just keep an eye on him. Maybe he and the air stone had a falling out...

Bubblesmom

Winnfield, La. 71483
Hm.. in this picture I would say hes male with that giant tail. I'm also not sure if it would be a female if it could already lay eggs at 3 years young. Let's wait for some more experienced members and see what they think :)
Thank you… are turtles normally so active in their tanks? I mean he swims to the top and dives back down… gets in his bubbler and it pushes him down… swims the length of the tank.. does this over and over… every now and then he’ll stop in his bunched up vines where he sleeps for a quick rest then off he goes again!!
Could just be he's reached sexual maturity and he wants to go out looking for a female.
lol! By the way he’s been constantly flirting with the bubbler that could be it! But do they reach sexual maturity at 3 years old?

Bubblesmom

Winnfield, La. 71483
Yeah, changes of season (the planet actually tips back-and-forth) are weird. Even when you keep constant environmental parameters indoors.

Is he eating well?
Sleeping when lights are out?

Just keep an eye on him. Maybe he and the air stone had a falling out...
Lol! Maybe they did ! Yeah he’s eating as usual… he’s picky tho!… I have to hold out on feeding sometimes because he’ll get to only eating mealworms!… I keep a variety of about 7 different brands of food… and he’s still picky! Yep he does sleep… I have some fake suction cupped greenery bunched up on one corner and that’s where he sleeps every night. I always turn his lights off at 7:30, which is what time it gets dark here, and cover the sides of his tank up because he’s in my living room where the tv is on 24/7 so I don’t wanna disturb him!… and lites on at 7:30 am… he’s always in the same place and position every morning… takes him a minute to wake up tho! I know he’s a spoiled little guy! So, maybe it is the change of seasons as I began to notice this a few days ago when it began to get cooler here ..