Flu and not feeding

Status
Not open for further replies.

starLover

5 Year Member
Help needed.
My star tortoise are having flu, walking with eyes close, and not feeding for 3days.
Seeked advise from vet last sunday, given Baytril for flu. Force feed 0.1ml per day on Baytril. Manage to give only a few drops into its mouth. (<3drops per feed)
My little guy are struggling each time during the medication. I believe its under stress thus not feeding at all.
Flu condition slightly improve. Only the right eye manage to open. Most of the time will move around with eyes closed.

What can I do? to at least make him eat.

Been keeping him under UV light most of the time.

already separated from the healthy guy.

Please help.... I have a heavy heart that this guy will not last long, the other will be alone by then.
The pair are similar size when i first had them. The healthy tort is twice the size of my flu tort.

I'm in malaysia with not much expert reptile vet around. Please help..... :(

alvinsim

5 Year Member
Hi starLover,

Are you in KL? Previously my wife and I just bought a pair of leopard tortoise and one of them seemed to have the flu symptom. We managed to find a vet, by the name of Dr S. Vellayan. He was formerly one of the directors and vet in our national zoo.

We brought the sick tortoise to him and he gave it a total of 5 injections in a period 2 weeks. It did stress the tortoise because each time after the jab, it hit himself inside its shell and didn't want to come out to eat. But after awhile, he got better and now is eating normally.

His contact details are:
Tel No.: 013 624 6918
Add: 19 Jalan L2, Taman Melawati, KL (Behind the National Zoo)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Starlover and Alvinsim:

Welcome to both of you!!

May we know your names?

I'm not sure, but I THINK I've read here on the forum that Star tortoises don't take well to Baytril and it should not be used on them.

alvinsim

5 Year Member
emysemys said:

Welcome to both of you!!

May we know your names?

I'm not sure, but I THINK I've read here on the forum that Star tortoises don't take well to Baytril and it should not be used on them.

Hi emysemys, my name is 'Alvin Sim', same as my username.

starLover

5 Year Member
alvinsim said:
Hi starLover,

Are you in KL? Previously my wife and I just bought a pair of leopard tortoise and one of them seemed to have the flu symptom. We managed to find a vet, by the name of Dr S. Vellayan. He was formerly one of the directors and vet in our national zoo.

We brought the sick tortoise to him and he gave it a total of 5 injections in a period 2 weeks. It did stress the tortoise because each time after the jab, it hit himself inside its shell and didn't want to come out to eat. But after awhile, he got better and now is eating normally.

His contact details are:
Tel No.: 013 624 6918
Add: 19 Jalan L2, Taman Melawati, KL (Behind the National Zoo)

i'm in penang. my star tort is only weighting 110g & 3inch long. i dont think injections is suitable. may i know how big is your tort at that time? how many days it goes without food?

emysemys said:

Welcome to both of you!!

May we know your names?

Hi, I'm Nicole Tan.
What other medicine that I can opt for? Please advise.

alvinsim

5 Year Member
when we bought them they were around 3". On the day it got its injections, it would refuse to it. On other days, it would just nibble on the food and then hide itself in its shell. The vet suggested the injection because 1) its size is not small; 2) its condition was quite bad. So, the injection was the fastest method. After looking back on my notes, the medication in the injection was Baytil, the same as you gave your tortoise.

For the other tortoise, the dr also gave us a nose drop but I can't remember the name.

starLover

5 Year Member
alvinsim said:
when we bought them they were around 3". On the day it got its injections, it would refuse to it. On other days, it would just nibble on the food and then hide itself in its shell. The vet suggested the injection because 1) its size is not small; 2) its condition was quite bad. So, the injection was the fastest method. After looking back on my notes, the medication in the injection was Baytil, the same as you gave your tortoise.

For the other tortoise, the dr also gave us a nose drop but I can't remember the name.

Thank you Alvin, I take note on your input.

TortBrain

5 Year Member
Got my pair of leos from mid valley. Male got RNS. Send to vet and got jab for straight 10days. Separated out, increase temp and recovered after.
During jab, low in appetite. Cheers!

starLover

5 Year Member
TortBrain said:
Got my pair of leos from mid valley. Male got RNS. Send to vet and got jab for straight 10days. Separated out, increase temp and recovered after.
During jab, low in appetite. Cheers!

You have a lovely pair of leos.... ;) May I know how big was the Male during the jab?

My star still not feeding today. :( will bring the little guy to vet first thing in the morning.

TortBrain

5 Year Member
Thanks.
Less then a yr old for both, what I was told upon purchase. Male at e size of 3".
My ST was only 2"+.
Do keep us posted..

starLover

5 Year Member
My star (PT) did not make it thru yesterday 4thAug. Confirm death at 430am. :~(
Leaving me and Cindy (her partner) !!!

i've made a trip to Dr. Vell on last Monday, it reflect good with the medication soak on the same day, but condition deteriorate on Wednesday noon.
Blood running out from the nose & mouth. Check with Dr, but by Post Mortem only Dr. able to confirm the death rootcause.

My sad update to all~

Status
Not open for further replies.