Fly's in outside enclosure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
Fly's have come out and they are driving me crazy because some of them bite and they seem to be more eager than Vegas when I feed him. I know you can't completely get rid of them but I would like to control the numbers. I went to get something that Vegas would not have access to and I found the fly traps that you hang. It said it would take about 3 hours to start working and to my surprise after 30 minutes the flies were going inside.

I try and clean up all leftover food and any poop to keep them out but they seem to know that they will get something if they hang around...

IMG00165-20110515-1521.jpg

IMG00166-20110515-1521.jpg

Does anyone have anything they use to cut down on the flies? These traps will get expensive if I have to keep buying them.

IMG00160-20110514-1610.jpg

Vegas kept following me as I set the trap up so I snapped his pic....

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
I bought some of those traps last year they work awesome what ever they use to attract flies it works great I think I had all the flies in my neighborhood filled two of them in a week hundreds of flies I would hang it away from his enclosure so it will draw the flies away from it

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
jaizei said:
You can make something similar to the trap you bought.
http://thekebun.wordpress.com/2008/10/02/simple-fly-trap/

I have a empty bottle and I will try that...Thanks

coreyc said:
I bought some of those traps last year they work awesome what ever they use to attract flies it works great I think I had all the flies in my neighborhood filled two of them in a week hundreds of flies I would hang it away from his enclosure so it will draw the flies away from it

Its working great so far, I will move it away from the enclosure and see how that works.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
For some reason we never have any fly issues. They would drive me nuts!

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
They bite us out here so I just want them gone as much as possible...We didn't have this issue last year so I am unsure what is going on..

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I really, REALLY hate flies. I'm SO glad that I don't have a fly problem. I pick up the poop daily. I have a horse too, and I pick up her poop daily also. I have a manure pile where I dump the manure and spread it out so it dries. There aren't many flies on the pile either.

I like the 2 liter bottle idea. Thanks for that.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
emysemys said:
I really, REALLY hate flies. I'm SO glad that I don't have a fly problem. I pick up the poop daily. I have a horse too, and I pick up her poop daily also. I have a manure pile where I dump the manure and spread it out so it dries. There aren't many flies on the pile either.

I like the 2 liter bottle idea. Thanks for that.

I have always hated them and I do my best to clean up leftover food and any poop but they still hang around like crazy and they bite which makes it worse. The trap has working great waiting to see what results I get from the bottle..

Mao Senpai

5 Year Member
North Carolina
I hate flies too... one came into my house the other day and I've been trying to get rid of it. I was sitting here typing away and it flew into the side of my head and scared the bejebus out of me. :(

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I use those traps too. They work well and you can keep topping off the water level as it evaporates until it is full of flies. They do stink to high heaven though. P.U.!!! I bought a bunch of mantis egg cases and hatched them out last year. Didn't seem to make a dent.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Mao Senpai said:
I hate flies too... one came into my house the other day and I've been trying to get rid of it. I was sitting here typing away and it flew into the side of my head and scared the bejebus out of me. :(

They are annoying always bothering you when you are trying to relax, I haven't seen fly swatters for sale yet :D

Tom said:
I use those traps too. They work well and you can keep topping off the water level as it evaporates until it is full of flies. They do stink to high heaven though. P.U.!!! I bought a bunch of mantis egg cases and hatched them out last year. Didn't seem to make a dent.

I am very suprised how well it works, I was only expecting a few flies to go inside but this morning there had to be atleast 30 dead flies that I could see. This product is a hit with me..

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Tom said:

I just threw out the first trap and man it smelled like something had died, there were so many dead flies and a couple wasps in there...you were right P.U. big time..

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
FernandoM said:
Fly's that bite?!?

Yes fly's that bite and they hurt too. My wife said the same thing when I told her the fly's were biting me but after she kept getting bite by them a few times she has no more doubts...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Mao Senpai said:

LOL!

I always fan the air in front of me before I open the door to come in from outside. I have screens on the windows. Occasionally an errant fly will find he way indoors, but my indoor cat, Molly, catches them and eats them! UGH! but YIPPEE!!

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
emysemys said:
Mao Senpai said:

LOL!

I always fan the air in front of me before I open the door to come in from outside. I have screens on the windows. Occasionally an errant fly will find he way indoors, but my indoor cat, Molly, catches them and eats them! UGH! but YIPPEE!!

Our cats do that also, we will see them staring into the air then just jump...nice to know they will catch and kill any insect that they see..

Status
Not open for further replies.