"Grass Fly's" or "Nat's" or "Fruit Fly's"? "How to get rid of them?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

grogansilver

5 Year Member
:tort: Ever since i planted that Carolina Russian tortoise seed mix and it Grew into Flowers and grass Ive had these Fly's! Does any body have any ideas or solutions on how to get rid of them? Maybe there's something on the Market or a home remedy that will work! something that is pesticide free and wont harming my tortoise's Please it would be much appreciated, these Fly's are a pain in my Butt! :( :tort:

african cake queen

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
ct.usa
i think it maybe from over watering. the bugs eat the roots. pesky flies.maybe let plant dry out. not sure, lets see what others have to say. good luck. lindy

grogansilver

5 Year Member
??Len?? said:
apple cider vinegar with a little bit of dish washing liquid added will attract them.
:tort: I could use that but do i add that into the dirt of the enclosure? or in a cup what? :tort:

starjess81

5 Year Member
KY
I suck them up with my vacuum cleaner and put a cotton ball with apple cider vinegar in the canister then set my vacuum outside over night....it cuts down on them but not solves them!

jeffbens0n

5 Year Member
Glenmoore, PA
grogansilver said:
??Len?? said:
apple cider vinegar with a little bit of dish washing liquid added will attract them.
:tort: I could use that but do i add that into the dirt of the enclosure? or in a cup what? :tort:

In a cup or bowl..placed as close to the source as you can, just make sure the tortoises can't knock it over. You can also try putting saran wrap over the top and poking small holes in the top...the idea being they fly through the holes and if they don't drown in the liquid like they are supposed to, they still can't get out. I have tried it myself but with limited success, maybe I need to try the apple cider vinegar, I just used balsamic..

grogansilver

5 Year Member
starjess81 said:
I suck them up with my vacuum cleaner and put a cotton ball with apple cider vinegar in the canister then set my vacuum outside over night....it cuts down on them but not solves them!
:tort: well i got rid of all that grass over turned the soil and lets see what happens next? i think they do have a bug catcher were they go in but don't come out I will have to go to the pet shop to see today. I ignored them because they don't bother the tortoises but when i take a closure look there's hundreds of them! they stay low to the ground (soil) and don't fly out side the enclosure except i did see one or two on the wall thats about it but just the site that their there really (P) me off! :tort::(

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
When I had soil for substrate, the flies were terrible. I had to switch to cypress mulch....That's really really helped. I only have a couple now and again. Since they aren't fruit flies, I find that apple cider vinegar doesn't really work.

ripper7777777

10 Year Member!
Houston
I had them in a Coir/top soil mix, I got rid of that cleaned the whole cage and went all Cypress and I've noticed them back tonight. I'm seriously considering gathering some baby toads once our brief winter is over and letting a Toad or two take care of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.