How do get rid of Frogs- Please advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Look like young Bufo marinus on my screen, but my eyes are tired.

Bufo marinus will eat vegetable matter.

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
When you said frogs I was a little surprised myself. My old box turtle would make quick work of frogs when he had the chance.

I could see how it would be a nuisance. How are they getting in? I'd rather them stay out of the enclosure and eat all the bugs rather than fill up on the sweet yummy turtle food but that's just me.

When we get a hard rain down here, my driveway will fill up with earthworms escaping their burrows and the toads shortly follow devouring the heck out of them. I do enjoy watching that.

I didn't look at all the pics, looks like they come in right through the lattice, next time ill look before I post lol.

CharlieM

10 Year Member!
So FL
Those are non native Bufo or Cane toads. They can grow to 9 inches. They are everywhere in south Florida and highly toxic.

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
Yup...i have to put something around it...any idea what like a foil or tarp

Sent from my ZTE N9120 using TortForum mobile app

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Try a solid barrier of some sort. Like a 2x12 or 2. CMU block walls. No reason to destroy an established part of an eco system. They are good.

ILoveTortoises2

5 Year Member
Mansfield, Ma
LOL so sorry I'm laughing it is so funny. He is just sitting there and won't let anyone go near it. Like he knows LOL.... DON'T TOUCH MY FOOD "RIBET" LOL Sorry had too :p

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
Yeah,it does look funny,but its frustrating. Because they dont get to eat. Best part today the neighbors cat jumpt over the fence and eat the chicken away....its like who else is coming for dinner?

Charliem if they are toxic how do i kill them?

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
You do not have to kill them. They probably came in as toadlets and have been growing well with the extra food and protection your enclosure provides. Pick them up and take them out after making sure you have high & secure enough of a barrier to prevent them from walking/hopping back in. Make sure not to get them near your face. Wash your hands after you have placed them elsewhere. Try to not harm them, as pain will definitely induce them to release a white toxic secretion from their parotoid glands (the big warts on the neck).

I used to keep a very large marinus in my room when I was a child and allowed it to free roam. It would stay in the cubby recess in the base of my bed during the day, sitting in a saucer of water I kept for it. It would explore at night. I fed it primarily fish that I would buy in bulk and then freeze, thawing them before wiggling them in front of the toad to get it to eat them. My mother familiarized me with toads when I was very young and I have always been very fond of them (and their eyes). My favorites are the Bufo viridis I find in Greece. The bright green spots on a creamy-white background color looks amazing with the golden eyes.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
No kill !!!! Easy catch !!!! get you a box and gloves and catch the take them as far away as possible.

Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
jtrux said:
When you said frogs I was a little surprised myself. My old box turtle would make quick work of frogs when he had the chance.

I could see how it would be a nuisance. How are they getting in? I'd rather them stay out of the enclosure and eat all the bugs rather than fill up on the sweet yummy turtle food but that's just me.

When we get a hard rain down here, my driveway will fill up with earthworms escaping their burrows and the toads shortly follow devouring the heck out of them. I do enjoy watching that.

I didn't look at all the pics, looks like they come in right through the lattice, next time ill look before I post lol.

I have a young bullfrog that somehow wandered its way into my yard post-metamorphosis and lives in the communal tortoise burrow. My tortoises kill and consume rabbits, frogs, snakes, rodents, birds, lizards, and more. Somehow this frog has survived in the reptilian parallel of a lion's den. It is not toxic to them. I would say it is luck, but the probability of it being as fortunate as it has been, given the space and the number of animals, must be absurdly low.

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
Wow he is really lucky.
what kind og tortoide eats all that stuff? A sully?

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
Most of my tortoises do. Sulcatas, hybrids, redfoots, yellow foots, Burmese blacks, Aldabras, and leopards. In my experience, leopards the least out of these groups. Sulcatas and Burmese blacks the most. Yellow foots and redfoots in second place. My Aldabra is more opportunistic for the big stuff, but worms and other inverts get hunted.

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
I never knew, so should i be feeding my sullies worms?

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
You do not have to. If they eat them, then they eat them. I let them eat them if they find them, but I do not go out of my way to provide them.

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
I have the same frogs here in central Fl.. Sometimes when I come home at night there are so many in the car port I get out and move them with a large broom I keep out just for that... They do not like to move i actually end up sweeping them out of the way... Next morning they are all gone..I did not know they were poisonous...

Good to know..

Thank you

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
Yup thats the one i have here many of them
But nothing tells me how to kill them, sorry but they have to die,rather then my dogs.
Any idea how to kill them ?

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I would make sure they are the dangerous toads before killing them. They all look alike to me.

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
I just check them ..and they are the highly toxic

Status
Not open for further replies.