Frogs, Toads and Tortoises???

Status
Not open for further replies.

ripper7777777

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Houston
Yesterday I was reading a post about bugs in an inside enclosure and I made a comment about frogs or toads eating the bugs.

But I began to think what about outdoor enclosures, we have Toads and frogs everywhere since we have a small koi pond, they breed like crazy.

Now it's nothing like Australia or anything, but they are there and they do get everywhere, which is nice for mosquito control.

But my concern is, Are there any known issues with Toads and Frogs getting in with Tortoises, you know disease wise? What about other reptiles or animals, not predators, I deal with those which is why we have a large natural reptile population.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I sure hope not, I have a toad that lives in one of my outside enclosure with my two small sulcata's and it lives in a unused hide, It's been around for the past year...

ripper7777777

10 Year Member!
Houston
Well I'd imagine it would be safe or we would hear about it, I'd imagine toads are all over everywhere in the South.

I have thought about some baby toads for my indoor enclosures, sure would help with the fruit flies, of course I won't see any till spring.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
My sulcata's don't pay them any mind but I don't think they would last in with my box turtles, those guys go after anything moving..

FADE2BLACK_1973

5 Year Member
Kentucky
dalano73 said:
My sulcata's don't pay them any mind but I don't think they would last in with my box turtles, those guys go after anything moving..

Yep those darn box turtles are like little lions of the small turtles...lol. I had one that would eat and kill anything thing he could catch or get ahold of.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
I find little frof in my boxie pen all the time. They seem so be drawn to it. I hope they don't carry disease. And I hope the are not getting eaten

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
One of our moderators, Kristina keeps gray tree frogs (hyla versicolor) with her torts and she's never reported any problems. If you can spare the extra space for some hardy arboreal frogs then go ahead. A wild caught frog should be quarantined at first though to prevent any cross-contamination.

ripper7777777

10 Year Member!
Houston
Well I may look at some small frogs for the indoor enclosures, not sure I wanna bring in a baby toad, they get pretty big and eat a lot, I had pet toads when I was kid, I spent a lot of time hunting bugs.

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
ripper7777777 said:
Well I may look at some small frogs for the indoor enclosures, not sure I wanna bring in a baby toad, they get pretty big and eat a lot, I had pet toads when I was kid, I spent a lot of time hunting bugs.

You don't want anything poisonous in there. For box turtle indoor setups, I have heard of people keeping small terrestrial North American frogs like wood frogs and it's worked out. I personally think that you can keep non toxic terrestrial frogs in the same enclosure as tortoises if they're both from the same range and if they're of a small size (under 3").

ripper7777777

10 Year Member!
Houston
Yea, I'm unsure about putting the toads inside, if I find a baby maybe I'll see about keeping it in a quarantine tank and go from there. I was just wondering about this spring when my torts go outside since we have so many reptiles running around in our small backyard. Right now it's just easier to squirt the fruit flies with water and than wipe them up with a paper towel.

I do miss my Whites tree frogs, they were cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.