Cane Toads (Bufo marinus)

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SW Forida
Recently i have seen several large cane toads on my property. This is the first year ever, normally i see many native toads and never any cane toads before. Anyone ever had any issues with cane toads or tortoise related issues? I know the toxins they discrete are deadly to anything that digest it!

cane-toad.jpg

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Yes they eat everything! Even baby native frogs! The best thing to do is put them down . Even their tadpoles are toxic to the fish if eaten . Just a bad frog to have in a place like Florida . The samething is happening in Australia .

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Wow, that doesn't sound good. I just looked them up and they can even kill dogs. I'm not one for killing toads, in fact I love toads, but I think this is one I would have to do in:( My animals come first, then wild life. Good luck Greg, hope they don't cause any problems with your animals before you get them.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
I think the nice perimeter around the big guys enclosure will work. You haven't seen any in the pen have you? These guys sure are no joke and can cause an issue.

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
Cane toads are here in the US now? Yikes...You could handle it like the Australian guy in this video [at the 2:35 mark]! I'm not condoning what he does, but I had to watch this whole 80's-something documentary in 9th grade and that scene always stuck with me...

I don't think there's any easy/good way to get rid of them...I hope you can keep them out of your enclosures!

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
I found only one additional tonight so far! The neighbor says they go into his garage and eat the cat food, they actually scares the cat off and feast!

I am on cane toad eradication tonight, LOL!

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
If you don't kill them keep them and find them a place to live .

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Not my cup of tea of this "thing". Sick looking......

I will smash them too.