Toad Toxicity

FujiBaird

Hi, this is John. Allison, my GF, is usually the one to post on Tortoise Forum. She is on a backpacking trip now and I can't reach her by phone.

This morning before I put Roma in her outdoor enclosure I found a large cane toad sleeping in her den where she usually rests. I removed the toad already, but my question is that I know cane toads secrete a toxin that can be poisonous to dogs...is there any toxicity to tortoises? I have the area currently blocked off. I was planning to remove the substrate, but how much should I remove?

MPRC

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
If I am not mistaken I believe Cane Toads are safe unless you squeeze them pretty darn hard (like a biting dog would). If there has been no contact I personally would just removed the toad and feel fine about letting the tort back into the den.

I would be delighted to find one, though I wouldn't be inclined to keep it in my tortoise enclosure.

You may want to let someone else weigh in before proceeding. I'm not an expert on cane toad toxicity.

newCH

5 Year Member
So.FL
When you relocated, did it pee ? They usually do when we move them. They will also play dead when they think they are under attack.
I would change the substrate where he sat, plus if he peed. Look for
any signs of defication too. They like to burrow in mulch.

FujiBaird

Thanks for your help. I didn't see anything when I removed the toad, but just to be safe I'll replace the substrate in the den.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
No need to do anything. Just remove the toad. The only way for it to affect the tortoise is if the tortoise licked or ingested the toxins on the skin. The toad's urine is not toxic and it will just absorb into the substrate harmlessly. I find toads in my tortoises enclosure almost every night in summer. No big deal. I just remove them.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
I think you'll be safe when the girlfriend gets back, too!
Can you imagine?....

CharlieM

10 Year Member!
So FL
They secrete a milky substance when threatened or picked up by a dog. Unless the toad was totally stressed and secreted anything it's totally fine.

FujiBaird

I'm back. :) I saw a lot of cane toads on my trip, but I didn't expect they would be on Roma's den when I got home! John said he removed the toad and the substrate in the area. Thanks from both of us for all the help!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I'm back. :) I saw a lot of cane toads on my trip, but I didn't expect they would be on Roma's den when I got home! John said he removed the toad and the substrate in the area. Thanks from both of us for all the help!
They can get into areas that seem sealed off and can hide in plain sight without being seen in the day time. Pretty adaptive critters.