Food question.

LoutheRussian

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Cornelius Or
I feel like I'm asking ridiculous questions but I'm totally new to this and Lou was abandoned and left in my apartment so I'm trying to figure it all out. I've been feeding him a lot of the recommended foods but I gave him some cucumber a couple times and he really seemed to like it. Is it ok the be feeding him that? It hasn't been much just a couple thin slices a couple of times along with his mix of other greens.

[TURTLE]

It's okay to feed it to him as a treat every now and then but don't feed it daily[SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES] I like to feed my tort some Grassland tortoise food made by Zoo Med and my Russian tort seems to love it! I also feed some lettuce, carrots, and tomatoes occasionally but I mainly feed her weeds, dandelion, leaves, and she likes to eat grass when she's basking out in the sun[SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES] Spring mix is also good as it has a good amount of fiber.

LoutheRussian

5 Year Member
Cornelius Or
Ok. Spring mix like the salad mix at the store? I've been feeding some lettuce I tried spinach but he just liked to lay on top of it lol. I will try adding more weeds and dandelion. I live on the Washington coast so there's plenty of weeds to go around. Thank you for your advice. I'm completely new to this and was thrown into it unexpectedly.

[TURTLE]

CrystalsFamily

5 Year Member
I'm pretty new too, but I read something about once you get them to eat something once, they'll eat it again. So mix what they like with what you want them to eat, repeatedly, until they eat some. I've been doing spring mix daily, but mixed with a different other green every week. Our guy seemed to like the collard greens better than the spring mix at first, but since they were together, he started eating it all. Maybe cut up the cuke and hide it in the lettuce? I mix in the Grassland food too, and am gradually increasing the amount. As for weeds, it's still very wintery here, but I'm concerned about just gathering them in the neighborhood in the spring and summer, because how will I know if they're on ground where there has been pesticides??

LoutheRussian

5 Year Member
Cornelius Or
Are you gonna stalk me? Cuz tat would be awesome lol. I'm kidding I live in Long Beach

[TURTLE]LoutheRussian

LoutheRussian

5 Year Member
Cornelius Or
What!? No way that's crazy. Small world. Did you get a Russian too?

[TURTLE]LoutheRussian

What are the chances this isn't a very big town

[TURTLE]LoutheRussian

LoutheRussian

5 Year Member
Cornelius Or
How cool. I bet we are practically neighbors. I live right by LBT

[TURTLE]LoutheRussian

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
My female Russian Ophelia likes, Spring Mix, Green Leaf Lettuce, Red Leaf Lettuce, Romaine, Mazuri Tortoise Diet which is like a dog food but made for Tortoises and she LOVES that stuff its always the first thing she goes after. She has eaten Mustard Greens, Turnip Greens, Bok Choy, Kale. As a treat she loves little pieces of apple, watermelon, pumpkin in a can that has nothing added to it, carrots. She is not a picky eater as this list would lead you see. :) I rescued her about 2-3 years ago (at the age of 7) and all she got then was Romaine lettuce and she was said to have ate grass from the back yard when she got outside, but she has NEVER even attempted to eat outside when I take her out. It didn't take long to get her to eat new foods. The Mazuri took 2days and she was in love with the stuff. All she had for substrate was nasty cat litter, now all she gets is Coco-Coir and she loves to dig in the stuff. I still bath her about 2 times a week. Best luck with your new bundle of joy!! :)

laramill

NCentral Wisconsin
Cute tort and so good that you took on the situation so enthusiastically.

What kind of person leaves a tortoise in an apartment when they move though? Unbelievable!

Well, you just got a new life long buddy out of it. Congrats!

LoutheRussian

5 Year Member
Cornelius Or
laramill said:
Cute tort and so good that you took on the situation so enthusiastically.

What kind of person leaves a tortoise in an apartment when they move though? Unbelievable!

Well, you just got a new life long buddy out of it. Congrats!

I don't know. Someone who has some bad karma coming there way. Lou is such an awesome little dude. I have so much fun watching him during he day. Today he climes up to my shoulder and burrowed into my neck where my hoodie met the couch. That was the first time he seemed enthusiastic to be with me. It's been a gradual thing getting him used to me. I don't think he had good people experience in the past

[TURTLE]LoutheRussian

HImageUploadedByTortForum1395205421.449945.jpgheres a shot of him burrowing into me today

[TURTLE]LoutheRussian

Last edited by a moderator:

LoutheRussian

5 Year Member
Cornelius Or
I've always had love for the ninja turtles so I guess my immediate love for Lou only makes sense

[TURTLE]LoutheRussian

LoutheRussian

5 Year Member
Cornelius Or
Is it alright for Lou to have red cabbage? I didn't realize there was a little in the mix when I put it in. I usually pick it all out but missed it this time. I think he may have had a small amount.

[TURTLE]LoutheRussian

And he doesn't seem to like grass all that well he pushes it all Out of the way to get at the other greens. However today he decided he wanted to start eating the spinach leaves I've been offering and he's ignored every time until today.

[TURTLE]LoutheRussian

CrystalsFamily

5 Year Member
Lou really lucked out that you moved into his territory! Glad to know there are other new owners out there really getting into it. We got Crystal because my 6yo son wanted a pet and can't have anything with fur due to allergies. And now I have a new love and hobby!