Food Rotation

BigC

Location (City and/or State)
Craigavon
I try to feed our newly acquired baby Horsfieldii a range of foodstuffs from around the garden as seen below. as well as supermarket greens and softened pellets (it is winter and more interesting ingredients will become available once Spring and Summer arrive. Calcium additives are also administered I up change certain foods every day. (he seems to like normal lettuce more than anything else) Should I leave his/her food bowl in situ for more than one day as it is still mostly full or just keep the regime I'm currently on. (fresh food daily) His/Her water is always changed daily.
6ZYst0k.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I try to put as much food on the feeding tile as they'll eat. If there's none left by the end of the day I know I didn't give them enough. I want just a little bit left over at lights out. I leave the food there all day and night and clean off the tile the next morning when I put down fresh food.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Welcome!

I’d go with what Yvonne has to say.

I wouldn’t include sedge or bamboo; they are grasses and a Russian won’t eat them. Not toxic, they just don’t eat grasses.

There isn’t anything wrong with mint, but the smell is strong enough to keep most tortoises away. I probably wouldn’t include it in a tortoise’s diet if I was trying to introduce it to a broader diet; I don’t know how the smell might interfere with those of the other plants.