food ?

Action

Location (City and/or State)
Valley Springs, Ca.
So I have my first tortoise.... A Sulcata that is about 7 weeks now. It eats really well and everything I have fed it. I am learning how much to feed. Do you pick up the food they have not eaten ? if not how long do you leave it ? Just keep adding to it......Just wondering what everyone does.
Thanks
Jack

xMario

Germany
I throw a lot of grasses and grass inside
I leave it in for max 3 days
Then change it
I also give other food like cactus and mulberry leaves or hibiscus but only amounts that get eaten directly

Basically my sulcata has 24/7 enough grass and grasses to graze all day

My enclosure is at no time empty
[emoji217]

Action

Valley Springs, Ca.
Thanks.....there is always food for my tortoise.....(haven't named it yet ) It eats well and pretty much everything.....Even cuttlebone. I have had it a week and it gained 1g.....LOL...Not sure if that is normal or not.
Jack

Oldbro

Chicago
If I might ask. Should the food be kept out from under the light/heat fixture?
Soo, you don’t have to remove the uneaten food every day? 3 day old wilted greens are ok? Thanks

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So I have my first tortoise.... A Sulcata that is about 7 weeks now. It eats really well and everything I have fed it. I am learning how much to feed. Do you pick up the food they have not eaten ? if not how long do you leave it ? Just keep adding to it......Just wondering what everyone does.
Thanks
Jack
They should be fed as much of the right foods as they will eat daily. I pick up leftovers every day (if there are any...) and put down fresh food.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If I might ask. Should the food be kept out from under the light/heat fixture?
Soo, you don’t have to remove the uneaten food every day? 3 day old wilted greens are ok? Thanks
The food should be away from the heat sources. I feed only enough food for one day and give fresh food daily.

Action

Valley Springs, Ca.
Thanks everyone...I am just trying to find out how much to feed right now. He////she eats really well but I tend to over feed.....Its only 7 weeks old. I do give fresh every day and discard what is not eaten.....Thanks again.
Jack

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Action

Valley Springs, Ca.
Thanks .....by over feed I mean I give it more then it can eat in a day. Here is a pic of food bowl. This is what I have fed so far and it seems to eat bits of it all. First day i had it ...It ate a 2" piece of cuttle bone....all of it.
Lawn clippings
Crab grass
Hibiscus leaves and flowers
Cactus
Timothy hay pellets
Squash blossoms and leaves
Ajuga
I'm sure there are a few others

Tortoise food.jpg

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
I give mine as much as they can eat. It’s all natural weeds with supplementary grocery greens. Of course pelleted foods are measured before feeding.

Adelia

Michigan
@Tom do Burmese Stars need a lot of grass too? I know the other list is good for them but wondering if I should plan to push grass? Thanks!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
@Tom do Burmese Stars need a lot of grass too? I know the other list is good for them but wondering if I should plan to push grass? Thanks!
Yes. Mine have always shown and affinity for grass. They don't eat as much grass as a sulcata of the same size, but they do like grass, and I do think its good for them. I frequently mix grass into their other foods, or just drop it on top. They eat it all.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Thanks .....by over feed I mean I give it more then it can eat in a day. Here is a pic of food bowl. This is what I have fed so far and it seems to eat bits of it all. First day i had it ...It ate a 2" piece of cuttle bone....all of it.
Lawn clippings
Crab grass
Hibiscus leaves and flowers
Cactus
Timothy hay pellets
Squash blossoms and leaves
Ajuga
I'm sure there are a few others
View attachment 278220
Can you tell us what that substrate is please?