food

Status
Not open for further replies.

eric2013

5 Year Member
Ok brill, I like to Give him a variety so far given him curly kale, cabbage, basil, flat leaf parsley, I did buy him courgette and parsnip last night as I read somewhere he can have that but then read somewhere else that u can't, so confusing x

What has ur spring mix got in it plz?

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
I also feed my Hermann's frisée lettuce (from the grocery), mustard greens and cat grass that you can grow inside.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Hermann's tortoises, as well as other Testudo species do well on a good quality, varied diet consisting of (but not limited to) some of the following:
Dandelion, clover, vetch, chicory, broad and narrow leaf plantain, lambsquarter, alfalfa, sow thistle, bermuda grass, timothy hay and other weeds. Grocery store greens can consist of dandelion, chicory, escarole, endive, romaine, mustard greens, collard greens, beet greens, carrot tops, kale, spinach, agrula and green & red leaf lettuce.
Vegetables, which should make up about 15-20% of a Testudo diet can consist of (but again not limited to): Squashes, pumpkin, sweet potato, green & yellow beans, peas, carrot, bell peppers and occasionally some corn.

eric2013

5 Year Member
That's brill, the veg I don't need to steam or anything? Xx

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
eric2013 said:
That's brill, the veg I don't need to steam or anything? Xx
Sweet potato, some types of squash and pumpkin may need to be softened a bit by steaming or microwaving. They are sometimes very hard and difficult for a tortoise, a young one especially, to bite into. Other than that all other vegetables and greens can be fed raw at room temperature.​

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I love to watch mine eat a baby carrot! She puts a front foot on either end to keep it in place, and bites chunks out of it as if she was eating corn on the cob! Plus biting the firm carrot helps keep her beak from getting overgrown.

Status
Not open for further replies.