herman tortoises, need help please

annmarie

Hi,
New to all this! Iv recently took on 2 herman tortoises, one female, one male. My only problem is i have been given them and their enclosure is a tank with a light and uv light too! They also have only been fed frozen veg! I was told thwy are 4 years old! Can i change their enclosure and have something outside for day time or is it too late? Is there anything else that they like to eat aswell, i want to give them a good home here but a bit lost!
Thanks
Annmarie

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the :tort: forum! You'll like it here, and get all the help you may need as far as your tortoises are concerned.

Good luck.

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
Welcome! :)
Can i change their enclosure and have something outside for day time or is it too late?
Of course you can, natural sun is very healthy! I keep my Hermanns outside all year (they also brumate outside), but it depends on your climate.

Is there anything else that they like to eat aswell, i want to give them a good home here but a bit lost!
It would be best to only feed them weeds (and cuttlefish bone for calcium). There are sooo many edible weeds, but you could start with dandelion, plantain and clover, most Hermanns like them.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Annmarie, and welcome to the Forum!

It's never too late to set up a tortoise outside. They do much better there, and it's way better for their health and mental well-being. Try to make the new outdoor habitat as big as you possibly can with quite a few sight barriers (plants, boulders, etc) so the female has a chance to hide from the male.

We have a very good care sheet pinned at the top of the Hermann's section. Give it a read and see if it answers your questions.

annmarie

Thank you all so much for replying. Il give that a read and if im stuck il let u peeps know :)

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hi, Annemarie and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum.
All the best up to date info you'll need to care for your tortoises is here.
Please do ask if you have any questions after studying the care sheet and I'm sure someone will be able to help.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Annmarie welcome to the TFO from AZ . I keep all my Herman's outside they seem to bee happy !