Unhealthy Herman tortoises , please help

HermanRonnie

Ok so ive been keeping Herman tortoises for six years, I have five females ( two seven year olds & three one year olds ) They are housed in & outdoor with correct UB and Basking light. Weed only diet, bathed regularly, fed on a slate have access to cuttle fish and I regularly give them calcium supplement with food. They are all happy tortoises.

I have been looking to buy a male for some time now and contact details were given to me of a man selling both a male and female. The photos I was given they looked perfect. Collected them yesterday, the poor little things... The chap had been keeping them in a viv for five years , fed on a lettuce diet , no access to outside. one male and one female and the male has been hassling her constantly. Their beaks are long , their claws are long also . I am worried about the curling of the shell , especially the males its curled under by his tail and im wondering if that may be causing him distress ? The female is massive compared to mine , I think they have been overfed lettuce. on that note they are very active and have enjoyed soaks in warm water and had a lovely fed on weeds this morning. I have separated them for now to give the female some peace.

I was wondering now they have access to cuttle fish and slate to eat food will their beaks & claws work themselves out , or do I need a vet to cut them ?

also the curling of the shell ?

I have read lots and lots of books and forums but have registered to this site today purely for advice .

The pet shops and garden centres should hang their heads in shame for recommending a vivarium etc this guy had no idea how they should be kept . any advice appreciated

Thank you

Merrick

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
South Florida
Definitely take both of them to the vet and while your their get their beaks and claws trimmed it is easier with more people also make sure you quarantine both animals for at least two months

HermanRonnie

thank you , yes I think I best take them to the vet . I have quarantined .... Any idea why their shell is curling ?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
thank you , yes I think I best take them to the vet . I have quarantined .... Any idea why their shell is curling ?

That's because of living in less than optimum conditions. It doesn't look like the curl is inhibiting tail movement, but if you think it does, a vet can file it for you.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
HermanRonnie already posted pictures i think he means around the tail it is curving

You're too quick for me. I deleted my post, but you answered it before I did.

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
If you're referring to the curling of the supracaudal shield (the scute that protects the tail) then there is absolutely nothing wrong with that animal. The curling is supposed to happen as males mature. Some have an extremely curled scute to where it almost looks as though the tail can't fit through. Totally normal and nothing to worry about or try to change. This of course is not usually the case for females.