For the horses

Status
Not open for further replies.

myrtle651

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NYC
I have a 4 x 6 horse drinking trough which I use outside for my torts to enjoy some water. It is half water and half sphagnum moss and dirt. My 2 leopards enjoy the water when they are in it. I also have 2 stars , one is 1 year old the other about 4 months. Will I need to change the moss and dirt due to poop and urine if I used it for the stars? I will be changing the water each time.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I would think so. The poop and pee water would get into the moss, right?

Maybe I need to see a picture to understand.

myrtle651

10 Year Member!
NYC
emysemys said:
I would think so. The poop and pee water would get into the moss, right?

Maybe I need to see a picture to understand.

Will try to get a pic, The moss and water is separated by 8 inches of peebles. Very little moss will get into it. It is 50/50 moss and dirt. Not sure if it is OK for the stars to use the same moss and dirt the leopards use? That is my main concern. Think I will just purchase a smaller trough.

River14

5 Year Member
Noooooo not in my opinion and others must you ever let the Stars come into contact with the Leopards waste products. Or ever house them together. Different parasites bacteria for the Stars is lethal. Its best in fact to never keep different species together. This comes from the TT Tortois Trust amongst many other expert advice.

The trough will have to be completely disinfected for the Stars each time then sundried. A smaller trough is a better idea. Stars and other tortoises dont like rotten water with a load of waste product in there even their own, it can cause them to get sick when they drink it during the soak. Maybe better just to have plain shallow water in the trough you can change each time.

Status
Not open for further replies.