For the love of Lucyy

ForLucy408

Location (City and/or State)
California
Happy Sunday to all,

Newly a parent to miss little Lucy [about 3 yrold russian] and I am looking to create an outside enclosure for her. She currently has an indoor enclosure, but once it warms up I'd love for her to spend most of her days in the warm sun. We live in northern California 😁🏵🌞 anywho.

My question is, is it generally safe to use a galvanized steel planter as an outdoor enclosure? I've read and read but would like some advice and input, opinions.

I can have a box especially made but if I can just purchase and assemble one fo these saves me time and labor.

I do plan to add a liner for water drainage, your feedback is appreciated.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220227-091253_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20220227-091253_Samsung Internet.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 4

ForLucy408

California

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220227-093101_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20220227-093101_Samsung Internet.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20220227-093131_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20220227-093131_Samsung Internet.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20220227-093118_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20220227-093118_Samsung Internet.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 1

Mr.Tort

edmonton AB
do the 6x3 because he/she will have more room to run back and forth
plus if its a redfoot/russian they like doing laps

Last edited:

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
I recommend just building an 8x8 or 8x4 square enclosure out of a sheet of plywood. Just cap the corners and make sure your walls are at least 16 inches tall for a Russian bigger than 5 or so inches :)

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I recommend just building an 8x8 or 8x4 square enclosure out of a sheet of plywood. Just cap the corners and make sure your walls are at least 16 inches tall for a Russian bigger than 5 or so inches :)

I dunno. Wood is no longer cheap. A few 2x4s (or 4x4s) for the posts, more for the top ledge/cap, plus a sheet or two of good exterior grade plywood (a box of screws) will easily be more than the cost of those planters/enclosures. Ive seen these pre-fab corrugated planters used on some YT gardening channels & they work really well. Well constructed, easy to build. Nice “clean“ look. The enclosures can also be easily expanded, reconfigured or even disassembled & relocated. I’m pretty sure they are also coated against rust & guaranteed for a few years (wood, not so much).

Whatever you end up doing, Good luck!

Good video…
wood vs the galvanized enclosure ➡️➡️

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
I dunno. Wood is no longer cheap. A few 2x4s (or 4x4s) for the posts, more for the top ledge/cap, plus a sheet or two of good exterior grade plywood (a box of screws) will easily be more than the cost of those planters/enclosures. Ive seen these pre-fab corrugated planters used on some YT gardening channels & they work really well. Well constructed, easy to build. Nice “clean“ look. The enclosures can also be easily expanded, reconfigured or even disassembled & relocated. I’m pretty sure they are also coated against rust & guaranteed for a few years (wood, not so much).

Whatever you end up doing, Good luck!

Good video…
wood vs the galvanized enclosure ➡️➡️
That is true, the price of wood is insane recently