for those without a green thumb

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbymoore

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Stoney creek ontario
put them in a wet paper towel for a couple nights and keep them warm untill you see them splitting then bury them approx hlaf inch

sulcatababies1402

5 Year Member
Georgetown/Hutto/Austin,Tx
Lol I just had flash backs of kindergarten when we learned how to grow beans :p thanks will try that :)

Should I buy a plant light if I plan to grow directly into the enclosure?

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
How big is your enclosure ? I just bought a four foot fixutre to grow some tortoise grazing mix,cactus & some other stuff outside mine then swtich out the grass when needed

sulcatababies1402

5 Year Member
The part I want to block off for the seeds is about 16in length and 24in wide I just want them to have a area they can freely graze while they are babies.Of course I have sullys sooo this is not a forever option and eventully thier current entire enclosure may house just a section of thier daily food but by then they will be living outside :p

But maybe I should just grow it in seprate containers and switch it out...I know Bowser is a monster when it comes to eating and Peach is growing too :)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
People have told me that I have a green thumb, but it looks normal to me, maybe I should worry about gangrene? But I don'y have any real secrets I just plant stuff and t grows, but I have started troublesome seeds on cotton balls soaked in water. Of course I also use worm castings to help things grow, and actual worms in the pots.

sulcatababies1402

5 Year Member
dmmj said:
People have told me that I have a green thumb, but it looks normal to me, maybe I should worry about gangrene? But I don'y have any real secrets I just plant stuff and t grows, but I have started troublesome seeds on cotton balls soaked in water. Of course I also use worm castings to help things grow, and actual worms in the pots.

LOL well i hope its not gangrene :p im not a girly girl so worms wouldnt bother me any as long as the plants grew i know they naturally turn the soil as they digest and move.So plan is:get a few containers and some nice soil;get a plant light;soak seeds in paper towl till sprout;add worms and then add seeds..will start this project Friday when i get paid and let everyone know if im doomed to buy leafy greens or if i can grow it :p

Thanks everyone for your input! if you can think of anything else dont hesitate to mention :)

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
What type of seeds are you trying to grow?

sulcatababies1402

5 Year Member
jaizei said:
What type of seeds are you trying to grow?

Mesclun leafy mix and some hollyhock-im thinking of start cactus out in seeds or stealing a few from my neighborhoods empty lot.I swear i see a tortoise cactus paradise across the street but my fiance has tried his hardest to get me from stealing lol

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
IMHO cactus is extremely hard to grow from seeds, it is much easier to grow from cuttings.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
I'm not sure starting the seeds in paper towels will work well with Mesclun type seed - the paper towel method works well with larger seeds that have a hard covering. I just sprinkle the seeds on top of the surface of the soil and spray as needed to keep the soil moist.

Here is a light stand that works well. Fluorescent lights work best as grow lights when they are about 6" above the tops of the plants.

dmmj said:
IMHO cactus is extremely hard to grow from seeds, it is much easier to grow from cuttings.

Hard how? Before I tried growing it from seed, I'd read that it was hard but I haven't had any difficulty. Other than the fact that they grow slow and it'll be at least a year (or 5) before I am able to harvest any.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
I have never been able to grow cactus from seeds, tried many times over the years and no germination, so I just use cuttings off of cactus I like, much easier IMHO.

sulcatababies1402

5 Year Member
jaizei said:
I'm not sure starting the seeds in paper towels will work well with Mesclun type seed - the paper towel method works well with larger seeds that have a hard covering. I just sprinkle the seeds on top of the surface of the soil and spray as needed to keep the soil moist.

Here is a light stand that works well. Fluorescent lights work best as grow lights when they are about 6" above the tops of the plants.

dmmj said:

Hard how? Before I tried growing it from seed, I'd read that it was hard but I haven't had any difficulty. Other than the fact that they grow slow and it'll be at least a year (or 5) before I am able to harvest any.
Thanks! this helps alot I guess i have a handy job for my fiance too :D

Status
Not open for further replies.