Found 4 Box Turtles--One possible Three-Toed x Ornate

Status
Not open for further replies.

austinl01

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Little Rock, AR
I found these four box turtle last week and gave them a good meal before letting them go. Three males and one female were all together in one spot next to the fence in high grass. Could the third one from the left be a cross between a three-toed and an ornate? If so, that would indicate we have a population of ornate boxies in the area, which would be quite rare. They are seldom found in central Arkansas.

2012-03-27_11-36-20_522.jpg

2012-03-28_17-07-34_782.jpg

austinl01

5 Year Member
Little Rock, AR
These are adults ranging in age from 9 to 13 years old approximately according to the growth rings.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I'm sure they are all TT box turtles. Kat...that does look like your little one doesn't it!

austinl01

5 Year Member
Little Rock, AR
Thanks. I have never had the pleasure of seeing a wild three-toed that pretty around these parts. Most of them have the plain looking shell typical of TTs.
Terry, this is your box turtle food recipe. They loved it.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Just wondering Austin......Where you live do you ever find Eastern's and if you do what color's are they? More yellow or any with red coloring?

austinl01

5 Year Member
Little Rock, AR
terryo said:
Just wondering Austin......Where you live do you ever find Eastern's and if you do what color's are they? More yellow or any with red coloring?

Terry, no Easterns...ever. Only TTs around here. I have never seen an Eastern adult in person actually. I just get to see them through pics on this forum. I have three baby Easterns less than a year old that I'm growing up though. They are purdy!

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
they all look like ttbt to me....all mine have the plain olive drab shell..I have seen some with the markings tho...very pretty

pryncesssc

5 Year Member
Chicago IL
I think they all look like TT also. My female TT has the "ornate" looking shell pattern also :)

turtlemann2

5 Year Member
Mid Willamette Valley, Or
MAN! i wish they were native around here :( or even where im moving in 6 mo. (thats a secret for now) all appear to be TTBT's to me as well and it really does show the differances within the sub sp. ! very neat find :)

Way to go on the good feeding and release :) i wonder if one of the boys took intrest in the girlie <3
Haha

man i need to post pictures of my guys and gals :)

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I'm still waiting for mine to wake up. When everyone's up I'll post some pictures too. So far the male Eastern, Pi, came up, and then the weather got cold again and he went down. Most of mine haven't reached their full potential yet as they are mostly juveniles. This male was all black as a hatchling and is still lacking in color. He has a little more now, but not really colorful. This is Pi, who came up last week and went back into the hibernation cave again.

008-61.jpg

016-45.jpg

I should add that what he lacks in color he makes up for in personality. Very macho boy.

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
turtlemann2 said:
MAN! i wish they were native around here :( or even where im moving in 6 mo. (thats a secret for now) all appear to be TTBT's to me as well and it really does show the differances within the sub sp. ! very neat find :)

Way to go on the good feeding and release :) i wonder if one of the boys took intrest in the girlie <3
Haha

man i need to post pictures of my guys and gals :)

I heard about your move....can you take the turtles with you???

fbsmith3

5 Year Member
Worcester, MA
I rarely see a single box turtle let alone 4. That is just awsome. My mother has a male that likes to "hang" around her farm. I live an hour away and I never see wild box turtles here.

Status
Not open for further replies.