Found a tortoise, don't know what kind....

Lanie214

Hi Everyone,

I'm new here but a long time turtle/tortoise lover. I've had red eared sliders and a couple of russion desert tortoises. Yesterday I found this little guy walking down the sidewalk in front of my house. I'm in the suburbs of Phoenix, so I'm not sure if he is a desert tort or a sulcata. The area I live in is very developed, but they just started building new houses in the vacant lot right across from us in our neighborhood so I'm really not sure whether he was evicted from his home or if he is an escaped pet. Any help is much appreciated!photo (1).JPG photo (1).JPG

Attachments

• photo (2).JPG
    photo (2).JPG
    525.2 KB · Views: 32

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Medford Oregon
that's a sulcata and it looks like it's been well cared for i'd try to find the owners but when you do don't say what kind of tort have them call or email to ID as if you say what kind you'll have a lot of people just trying to get a free tortoise

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Yep probably a an escaped pet. Way too smooth to not be! Also, russains are NOT desert animals, they live in 'arid' climates. Which mean they still need humidity and water bowls

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Try posting flyers in your area that you found a pet tort but do not list what size or sulcata. He looks well cared for so he is probably missed.

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
Good on you for taking care of it until its owners are found. Be sure to feed it plenty of greens (kale, plantain weed, hibiscus/Rose of Sharon, spring mis, dandelions, coneflower, mallow, pansies) and no fruits.

Other members can help you with setting up a good enviro for him/her. Good luck!

May, Aussies, & THBs
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES