Free Leopard Tortoise

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
Also,
My box holds the 80F tells just fine even during my cold 20F winter days. Right now it's housed on my patio under a partial covering but I've had it in the open too. Rained on and everything, it held up fine.
I think your screen patio idea with yard access is much better than the garage.

jacobmsimpson

Howdy,
Is this tortoise still available for adoption. I live in Houston and could meet you halfway and compensate you for fuel and any costs you've spent on the tortoise

jacobmsimpson

I can provide images and video of his future home. I have 5 acres encases in rubberized high fence with rubberized wire buried three feet deep into the ground. 2 small ponds and lots of fruiting trees. Also a small 1/2 acre area with short fence and a small pond which is where I would let him roam

Magilla504

Jacob, if you read through the conversation on Leonardo the leopard tortoise, you would realize member "critta" is keeping him.

I noticed you were a new member as of last night so Just a small bit of humble advice. You may be the best tortoise owner in the world but the majority of people on this forum would not just hand one of these animals over. A lot of these people on here run rescues and have a serious love for torts. So in this case, they are not going to hand one over to someone who says they have a great home. Like I said, you may be an awesome tortoise expert but no one knows that on here.

If you have never owned one I would recommend pick and research a species you like. Build and have an existing enclosure and habitat for the animal. Understand exactly what you are getting into before diving right in. These animals live very long lives and some get very large.

I would recommend To consider where you live and keep that in mind when considering a species. I love sulcata torts, but I live in virginia and it's not the most ideal environment for that species. If you are in my situation than just make sure you pick a species that is easier to manage in and outdoors.

Good luck to you and your tortoise endeavors !

jacobmsimpson

i undersand there would be some hesitance and doubts but given our close proximity i am/was assured i could set his mind at ease. He lives 3hrs away close enough i could pay for his fuel to visit the habitat or vice versa meet him for him to get to know me and ask questions beforehand. i didn't post expected to be instantly given or purchase anything but to open a dialogue

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA
i undersand there would be some hesitance and doubts but given our close proximity i am/was assured i could set his mind at ease. He lives 3hrs away close enough i could pay for his fuel to visit the habitat or vice versa meet him for him to get to know me and ask questions beforehand. i didn't post expected to be instantly given or purchase anything but to open a dialogue
We understand that as well, but Critta has stated that he plans on keeping the tortoise, so now the tortoise is not in need of a new home. Luckily the tortoise decided to adopt Critta and his family :)

jacobmsimpson

Magilla,understand your concerns and doubts, i already have a very large enclosure it houses hog deer and muntjac and know several people with 100+lb sulcata and leopards at their ranch homes. its not knowledge or experience that i lack its just there really isn't a market for large tortoises. and yes i saw he had decided to keep it, but one of the things ive learned with people with large tortoises is that most get bored with them unfortunately. ive seen several at animal actions that normally sell cattle and horse just pop up with 100+lb sulcata and such that people no long have the means or want to care for. which usually go for astronomical prices to uninformed cattle ranchers and yet another unloving home. if i can bump a post and help alleviate that cycle why not try. I have the space and means and the climate to care for some of these little and not so little guys, to give them a nice large home to wonder around and enjoy and do whatever they want. If you could do the same wouldn't you offer regardless of the circumstances?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Magilla,understand your concerns and doubts, i already have a very large enclosure it houses hog deer and muntjac and know several people with 100+lb sulcata and leopards at their ranch homes. its not knowledge or experience that i lack its just there really isn't a market for large tortoises. and yes i saw he had decided to keep it, but one of the things ive learned with people with large tortoises is that most get bored with them unfortunately. ive seen several at animal actions that normally sell cattle and horse just pop up with 100+lb sulcata and such that people no long have the means or want to care for. which usually go for astronomical prices to uninformed cattle ranchers and yet another unloving home. if i can bump a post and help alleviate that cycle why not try. I have the space and means and the climate to care for some of these little and not so little guys, to give them a nice large home to wonder around and enjoy and do whatever they want. If you could do the same wouldn't you offer regardless of the circumstances?

There are usually many sulcatas among other species in the Craig list ads that need a proper caring home. Have you looked there? There usually also are rescues in most areas that also have torotises needing homes, see if there is one in your area. In the mean time, stick around and let us get to know you, research all the different species and their cars and needs so your best prepared when you do find your shelled friend. You don't need a tortoise to participate here.

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA
Understandable, but we on the forum don't know if what you say about your space and interest is true. I suggest starting your own thread in the Introduction section and explaining your experience, size of land, enclosure ideas/enclosure dimensions and pictures if already have enclosures, pictures of any species you currently have, how you care for these species, etc etc. After showing us what you know, have, and how you care for them, we all can start seeing you as a possible viable option when needing to rehome a beloved tort friend.

jacobmsimpson

Understandable, but we on the forum don't know if what you say about your space and interest is true. I suggest starting your own thread in the Introduction section and explaining your experience, size of land, enclosure ideas/enclosure dimensions and pictures if already have enclosures, pictures of any species you currently have, how you care for these species, etc etc. After showing us what you know, have, and how you care for them, we all can start seeing you as a possible viable option when needing to rehome a beloved tort friend.
i have intro thread but i will strive to add more information and photos

Magilla504

It's all good Jacob . It wasn't at all an insult to you. I'm sure you have a great set up and ability to care for a large tortoise. Unfortunately,
A lot of people get on here and make a bunch of offers to folks about wanting to adopt their torts. So it's hard for members to know who are trustworthy. Like you said, people get bored with them and in my opinion they impulsively put themself in the situation instead of thinking it through.
Now , if anything else is needed let's take this conversation out of the adoption section since conversation is not supposed to happen here.
Good luck to you my friend and im sure you will have zero issues finding a great tortoise to care for.
You will love it!

Jason

TheTortoiseWhisperer

5 Year Member
Mandeville, Louisiana
I just sent you an email, I live in Mandeville and I would soooo happily take him if he's still available. I work at a Lab in Slidell so my hours are kind of weird compared to most people but I would gladly work it out so you can see for yourself that he can have a happy, healthy home here with my family....In my email I sent you my number so please call me, during the week I'm up and able to answer my phone anytime after 4:00am but it's best to call me after 6:00am except on weekends because I'm out like a light all morning. Lol.

Take care,
Addie

TheTortoiseWhisperer

5 Year Member
Mandeville, Louisiana
Angel, there's obviously a lot to read considering that there are 4 pages of comments by lots of people including yourself who seems to be bothered by everyone's interest to adopt the leopard now that critta has decided to keep him....administration could take the thread down if they want to I'm sure but if critta just chooses not to respond people will eventually stop asking, it might help if you just don't read what people have to say about critta's post although I am thankful to know by your post that he's not up for adoption anymore....Anywayyyy it's just a thought but of course you also have the option to continue reading everyone's request and trying to make it known that Critta is keeping his new found friend.