Free veterinary help

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
http://www.sdturtle.org/?mc_cid=c5e2442a08&mc_eid=bba8410478#!map/cdw6

Dr. Boyer is among the best reptile vets in the world, and we get access to him for free here in San Diego via the San Diego Turtle and Tortoise society. He's the bomb, he rocks, and he is really smart. The only thing that could be better is if he were a human Doctor, cause then I could go see him when I didn't feel well.

For whatever reason, mostly nobody seemed to care or notice when SDTTS has had good speakers, (and there have indeed been some real turkeys), I stopped posting the meetings here. All none of you that I have met by virtue of my posting the meetings here will recall how great it is to meet up.

If you can break away and want to talk with a really good vet that happens to be an extremely good reptile vet, Don't miss this meeting.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
If you missed this or the last two talks at SDTTS you are doing yourself a disservice. There have been some total crap presentations, But these last three are like seeing the Stones, the Beatles, and U2 live (fill in whoever you want for bands).

They are Tortoise/reptile rockstar icons. It's been better that as TSA or TTPG meeting spread over three evenings. I don't know how long this run of great speakers or topics may last, it has been crazy good. Last night there were 50+ people in attendance. Should have been 300+.

I hear so many people seeking the best most well researched answer of the best knowledge of the day. These three past speakers are giving out for free in real time this kind of information.

Boyer is the guy that teaches other reptile vets what's the what about a disease. He got sidetracked into a nutrition thought process last night and orated a tortoise nutrition booklet. I know it's a thing to sit at your keyboard and repeat stuff you heard. Last night was full of, "never heard that before" and backed up with personal experience and quotes of peer reviewed lit, and follow-up by the authors of those texts after the published work is out there.

By one degree of separation, last night's talk by Boyer we got a room of all the best reptile vets in the world. FOR FREE.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Has anyone videotaped these presentations and posted them on YouTube? That would be killer if so. If not, it really would be super killer if it could be done. Imagine the huge outreach that would happen for a long time to come. Virtual is the way to go when travel does not happen. Just a thought, or two ...

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Has anyone videotaped these presentations and posted them on YouTube? That would be killer if so. If not, it really would be super killer if it could be done. Imagine the huge outreach that would happen for a long time to come. Virtual is the way to go when travel does not happen. Just a thought, or two ...

Yeah you brought this up before. Two recent talks have been taped and are in a queue to be published on YouTube if/when the speaker agrees. However I understand that the capability of the person doing the taping or their equipment (all as volunteer effort) has resulted in video's of debatable quality. Also the talks are an hour or more and the YouTube attention span is not that long.

Attending a presentation compels the audience to listen to all the message, not just bullet points. Much like why musicians play old favorites along with new material during live performances. They are building audience. That gets lost in taped presentations.

You're in OC yeah? If you want to take the train I can help with getting you to and from the station. Or just drive the couple of hours. I understand you have been in film production at some level, this is an all volunteer group, get me?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You members that are close enough to go are crazy not too. I would love to meet a reptile get that is highly recommended and learn from him/her.
Free advice guys, from a highly recommended reptile/TORTOISE knowledgable vet. That's worth a lot.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Well tonight the intended speaker, for whatever reason (????), will not come so there will be a 'panel of experts' whatever that may mean?????

More than a few times speakers have bailed. I have a 'presentation to go' myself, so if the panel is just people answering cucumber and tomato diet questions for sulcatas, I will offer it up.

For the most part some attendees might be people who are not so internet savvy, and this is their venue to chat. I remember as a teen going to the Bay Area Turtle and Tortoise Society (BATTS) meetings once a month at a library in Berkeley. Highlight of the month for my interest. That was very pre-internet.