French drain working GREAT!!!

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
Here in south Louisiana flooding and standing water is a real threat to tortoises in outdoor enclosures. We had some yard renovations done earlier this year and included a French drain in my Hermann's tortoise outdoor enclosure. it's working GREAT!!!! As you can see from the photo below, there is standing water OUTSIDE the cinderblocks of her enclosure, but NO standing water INSIDE!!!!! It cost a pretty penny but is well worth the peace of mind to know my tort will be safe. :) (She's in her indoor enclosure for the winter)
IMG_8652.JPG

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Nice! I'll bet when she gets up in the Spring you're gonna' have to add another cinderblock to the wall. I tried a french drain in my horse paddock, but the holes in the drain pipe kept getting plugged. No worries, though, as the only expense was material - I did the labor myself.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Nice! I'll bet when she gets up in the Spring you're gonna' have to add another cinderblock to the wall. I tried a french drain in my horse paddock, but the holes in the drain pipe kept getting plugged. No worries, though, as the only expense was material - I did the labor myself.

Oh, yes- the wall is 2 blocks high. The area in the photo is low because we moved some of the top blocks. We’ll put them back before she’s in that side of the enclosure again! [emoji6]

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA

WOW! The digging for that drain is some SERIOUS labor- [emoji2][emoji106]