From what this says, is it OKAY for my SULCATA tortoise to eat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

abbs

5 Year Member
Acording to this ...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A challenge, eh? OK, so the questions are: does my grass have endophytes, and is it safe for my tortoise?

Does your grass have endophytes? Probably. The thing is that the word 'endophyte' really does not mean much more than a form of parasite, usually a bacteria or fungus. Many endophytes are harmless, some are helpful and even have medicinal uses, and some produce toxins. Cattle that graze on the stuff that produces the alkaloid toxins get the 'livestock staggers'.

Even if your seeds or sod were not intentionally infected with a specific kind of endophyte (the fungi Acremonium coenophialum and A. lolii ), they could easily be infected with something else.

This seems to be a decent introduction to the stuff: http://www.uri.edu/ce/factsheets/sheets/endophyte.html

How do you know if your yard is infected? If you have used any drought or pest resistant fescue or ryegrass seed in the last several years, it is probably infected. The stuff cannot infect bluegrass or bentgrass.

However, your yard may still be infected with naturally occurring endophytes.

Alkaloids and tortoises: In general, tortoises seem to be resistant to alkaloids- Galapagos, Red-foots, and Russians are just a few of the species known to eat plants considered toxic die to the alkaloid levels, and the toxin is the by-product of a fungus- many tortoises and box turtles are known to eat fungi that are toxic to humans.

That is not a strong yes or no, I know. Another bit of evidence is that they have been doing this endophyte thing for years, and there have been few reports of any mysterious illnesses that might be traced to turfgrasses. If it WAS dangerous, I think we would have more solid evidence of it by now.

Sorry, guys. I wish I had a solid answer for you, but my best guess would be that it is probably OK, especially if the turfgrass is a rather small portion of the overall diet. To put it another way, I feel safe putting my herd of Red-foots on my mostly fescue, and reseeded in the last few years, yard.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SOOOO... IS it SAFE for my SUlcata Tortoise to EAT or not
?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I'm sorry, Abbs, but I don't understand. Have you had your yard tested and found it to be inhabited with endophytes? Have you planted a certain type of grass that you think might be infected?

Your post is just a little bit too vague to be able to help you.

abbs

5 Year Member
its not planted in my yard. i have grown it in a pot for my tort. its just starting to grow, i havent fed her any yet. i want to make sure its safe for her... how do i test it to make sure it is safe?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
So, please help me to understand...

You've planted some turf grass in a container, then someone told you that your turf might be infected? Or did the turf come with a label telling you not to eat it because it might be infected with endophytes? Sorry to be so dense.

I usually won't use turf because it is held together with plastic mesh. Eventually the mesh comes to the top and a tortoise might get a leg or his neck stuck in it.

Why don't you just buy some seeds and plant them. I like the mixtures that you can buy from carolinapetsupply.com, and the seeds sprout very quickly. I also buy different kinds of veggie seeds at the dollar store and mix them in with the grass seeds. But don't use tomato or egg plant as the leaves are toxic.

abbs

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
So, please help me to understand...

You've planted some turf grass in a container, then someone told you that your turf might be infected? Or did the turf come with a label telling you not to eat it because it might be infected with endophytes? Sorry to be so dense.

I usually won't use turf because it is held together with plastic mesh. Eventually the mesh comes to the top and a tortoise might get a leg or his neck stuck in it.

Why don't you just buy some seeds and plant them. I like the mixtures that you can buy from carolinapetsupply.com, and the seeds sprout very quickly. I also buy different kinds of veggie seeds at the dollar store and mix them in with the grass seeds. But don't use tomato or egg plant as the leaves are toxic.

yah i just planted them. i bought pennington smart seed.it says "environmentlly beneficial technology" on it.. also "with MYCO Advantage" its a Tall Feacue premium grass seed blend" so i was wondering, now that people are saying about that endo.. whatever it is, if it is safe for a Sulcata to eat...

http://www.penningtonseed.com/ProductDetails.aspx?id=72 (here is the website for the grass i bought)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
RE: NOT getting much help with this problem...

Usually the "advantage" the seed companies are talking about refers to the coatings that they put on the outside of the seeds to aid in germination and growth. It won't have any effect on the qualities of the grass blades once they've established. But you wouldn't want to eat or feed the actual seeds.

I have found that MY tortoises aren't that fond of fescue. They much prefer the weed-type grasses such as bermuda, elephant, etc.

abbs

5 Year Member
RE: NOT getting much help with this problem...

emysemys said:
Usually the "advantage" the seed companies are talking about refers to the coatings that they put on the outside of the seeds to aid in germination and growth. It won't have any effect on the qualities of the grass blades once they've established. But you wouldn't want to eat or feed the actual seeds.

I have found that MY tortoises aren't that fond of fescue. They much prefer the weed-type grasses such as bermuda, elephant, etc.

so it only affescts the seeds,... not the grass? is that correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.