Fruit?

lisa127

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NE Ohio
Box turtles eat quite a bit of fruit. I feed a mix of protein, greens, veggies and fruit at every meal.

NickA

Mid Atlantic
Box turtles eat quite a bit of fruit. I feed a mix of protein, greens, veggies and fruit at every meal.
Fruit are always good. When ever I think of box turtle care I think of what nature provides since they are native to my area. Where I live we have raspberries, blackberries and wild strawberry witch are around for about 1 maybe 2 months during the year. in the wild my guess would be that wild box turtles consume way more protein then fruits and vegetables. I always feed mine around a 60% protein and 40% fruit vegetable. I have a few that rarely eat fruit or vegetable while I am watching and they are just as healthy and active as the rest.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Fruit are always good. When ever I think of box turtle care I think of what nature provides since they are native to my area. Where I live we have raspberries, blackberries and wild strawberry witch are around for about 1 maybe 2 months during the year. in the wild my guess would be that wild box turtles consume way more protein then fruits and vegetables. I always feed mine around a 60% protein and 40% fruit vegetable. I have a few that rarely eat fruit or vegetable while I am watching and they are just as healthy and active as the rest.
That ratio is perfect for box turtles.

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
In addition to natural proteins like earthworms, various bugs and potential carrion sources, I feed my box turtles what they would find in their natural environment and they love it. Whatever is in season: mushrooms, blackberries, raspberries, mulberries, strawberries, blueberries, peaches, etc.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Usually do around 75 percent protein 15 percent veggies and 10 percent fruit. but variety is key. Box turtles like above said have lots of variety and they will eat almost anything.

Kyle

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
I agree with the replies above. As with any other type of food, some fruit options are better than others. I think citrus and avocado are on the "Can't You Find Something Else?" list, and the turtle might appreciate you removing the un-tasty bits, like pits from peaches and plums, before serving.

Beyond that, it's trying to make sure that the fruit comes from a source as free of contaminants (including pesticide residue) as possible. Also, box turtles are good at turning their noses up at any food that isn't just quite right (even though we may disagree). They're tough little negotiators at dinnertime!

ColleenT

Lehigh Valley Pa
i feed mine fruit if they are not getting worms. today was worm day. In their dish i usually provide Omega one turtle pellets, Ground up to a powder, mixed with water, mashed cooked yams, frozen then thawed peaches, mangoes or strawberries. And i have blueberries growing so i give them anything that has gone soft. They love fruit.

ColleenT

Lehigh Valley Pa
i do a bowl of the food mix i explained above, and vary it a bit here and then. i put that out every 3 rd day. I offer earthworms to every individual on the day after they get their bowl of food.