Veggies

Location (City and/or State)
North East US
How do I get my Eastern Box Turtle Rosey to eat fruits and veggies? She is a year old now and hasn’t touched her fruit or veggies. Any answer would be greatly appreciated!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I always start my babies out with veggies and fruit. That's what I feed them when they're right out of the egg. I usually always have baby tortoises when the box turtles hatch, and I offer the box turtles the same thing I've chopped up for the baby tortoises. To make it smell more interesting for them, I pour the juice off of a can of cat food over their greens and mix it all up so all the greens and veggies smell like cat food.

Starting them out this way insures they are not going to be picky eaters. My grand daughter in New Jersey has one of my three toe babies that is now about two years old. She recently told me that zucchini is "Humphrey's" favorite food.

North East US
I always start my babies out with veggies and fruit. That's what I feed them when they're right out of the egg. I usually always have baby tortoises when the box turtles hatch, and I offer the box turtles the same thing I've chopped up for the baby tortoises. To make it smell more interesting for them, I pour the juice off of a can of cat food over their greens and mix it all up so all the greens and veggies smell like cat food.

Starting them out this way insures they are not going to be picky eaters. My grand daughter in New Jersey has one of my three toe babies that is now about two years old. She recently told me that zucchini is "Humphrey's" favorite food.

So should I only feed her veggies now and then once she starts eating them give her the worms back?