New and need help feeding a youngster

Leana

Hi I am a new member to this site. I have a female box turtle 2-3 years old. She will only eat bloodworms, how can I get her to eat veggies or fruit. I've tried feeding her different types, she just turns her head and walk away.

PJay

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Virginia
Box turtles can be slow to take fruits and veggies as you are clearly experiencing. But a 2 or 3 year old should be about ready to start accepting them. Try mashing some strawberries, blackberries or blueberries and add the bloodworms on top. Other fruits you can try are mango, canteloupe, bananas, apples or peaches. The only way I get greens in my box turtles is to finely chop spring mix and sprinkle them on top of other foods they relish.

Are you feeding any proteins other than bloodworms?

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
Hi I am a new member to this site. I have a female box turtle 2-3 years old. She will only eat bloodworms, how can I get her to eat veggies or fruit. I've tried feeding her different types, she just turns her head and walk away.

Hello and welcome!

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio

Just a rule of thumb, your yearling box turtle may not be a picky eater, he may just not like where you place the food, how you place the food, or the time of the day you place the food. I have a yearling that likes to eat in complete seclusion, forages around 5-6am in the morning, and generally enjoys to eat the food misted along with the enclosure. I would just experiment till you find the right pattern. I would also check out the care sheets for other ideas, good luck!

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Just a rule of thumb, your yearling box turtle may not be a picky eater, he may just not like where you place the food, how you place the food, or the time of the day you place the food. I have a yearling that likes to eat in complete seclusion, forages around 5-6am in the morning, and generally enjoys to eat the food misted along with the enclosure. I would just experiment till you find the right pattern. I would also check out the care sheets for other ideas, good luck!

Great points Eric, I have a few that way and I've had them for years. I can feed and almost all come out while I'm sitting there watching and then I have a few that will stay hidden until I walk off, Then they will come eat.

Leans, we would love to see a picture of the box turtle.

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
Every turtle has a story, care to share yours?