Turtmum

Location (City and/or State)
Canada
Hi everyone, I'm a new turtle mom and although my husband and I have done a lot of research, now that we have a turtle we have a few questions.
Just as an introduction, this is Clementine. We were told she is a three toed boxie (even though she has four back claws and I have my doubts) and her shell is about three inches long. We've had her for a week and a half. I posted about her enclosure and her care in my intro post here if you're interested.
turt2.jpg
We've read that young box turtles favour protein over veggies. We've been feeding her wax worms and she willingly eats them but I know she needs her veggies too. I got her to eat a bite of organic romaine lettuce but that was it so far. We tried banana and pepper as well. I read the pinned post on the American box turtle page and understand that feeding her wax worms is like feeding her candy and she'll take that over veggies, but I also read that younger turtles need 80% protein so I'm wondering if I should keep feeding her mostly worms or try to change her diet right away to discourage picky eating and nutritional deficiency. We want to try earthworms as well as I feel they're a bit more natural for her.
Also, we're wondering how often we should feed her. I've read that younger turtles should be fed every second day and older ones should be fed 2-3 times a week. What would you recommend? Sadly the place we adopted her from did not know her age. Thanks.

HarvestHerp5

Harvest, AL
Nightcrawlers and earthworms are great choices for young box turtles. Mine love them. Roly polies/pill bugs are good too. Try scrambled eggs. If your turtle likes them, you can add shredded veggies to the eggs before you feed them to her. Berries are good choices too. Strawberries and blackberries tend to be my guys' favorites.

Relic

Here
For what it's worth, 3-Toed box turtles occasionally have 4 instead of three toes on their back feet. Might have to do with intergrade specimens that have a heavy dose of Eastern genetics. Also, your photo looks exactly like dozens of three-toeds I have hatched.

Turtmum

Canada
For what it's worth, 3-Toed box turtles occasionally have 4 instead of three toes on their back feet. Might have to do with intergrade specimens that have a heavy dose of Eastern genetics. Also, your photo looks exactly like dozens of three-toeds I have hatched.
Good to know! Thanks

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
I agree with @Relic , it looks like a three toed even though it may have four toes. As it grows we may see more evidence of eastern or gulf coast box turtle genetics.

xBapes

Cockeysville, MD
I’m also new to the box turtle scene. I was informed by a breeder that protein is the main thing to focus on when they are young. As they get older and mature, small amounts of vegetation can be added into the diet.

RumWeatherReptiles

5 Year Member
New Jersey
Hi everyone, I'm a new turtle mom and although my husband and I have done a lot of research, now that we have a turtle we have a few questions.
Just as an introduction, this is Clementine. We were told she is a three toed boxie (even though she has four back claws and I have my doubts) and her shell is about three inches long. We've had her for a week and a half. I posted about her enclosure and her care in my intro post here if you're interested.
View attachment 264723
We've read that young box turtles favour protein over veggies. We've been feeding her wax worms and she willingly eats them but I know she needs her veggies too. I got her to eat a bite of organic romaine lettuce but that was it so far. We tried banana and pepper as well. I read the pinned post on the American box turtle page and understand that feeding her wax worms is like feeding her candy and she'll take that over veggies, but I also read that younger turtles need 80% protein so I'm wondering if I should keep feeding her mostly worms or try to change her diet right away to discourage picky eating and nutritional deficiency. We want to try earthworms as well as I feel they're a bit more natural for her.
Also, we're wondering how often we should feed her. I've read that younger turtles should be fed every second day and older ones should be fed 2-3 times a week. What would you recommend? Sadly the place we adopted her from did not know her age. Thanks.

Mazuri Aquatic Formula is an excellent pellet if you can get her to eat them. Put he in some warm shallow water and sprinkle some in.