Diet for young box turtle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raymo2477

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Eastern, PA, USA
Have a 4-6 month old desert box turtle. I have been feeding it small crickets (leg pulled), wax worms, earth worms, box turtles pellets, reptomin, squash, and carrots. The little guy eats everything insight and runs all over his pen like a maniac! Is this an acceptable diet?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
They seem to like red- or green-leaf lettuce too (that's a type of lettuce, not a description of its color). I will chop up either fruit or veggies (not both on the same day), into very small pieces then put it on a bed of red/green-leaf lettuce and sprinkle a few worms, crickets, etc. on top. They end up eating most of what I put down. I used to feed my baby box turtles only insects because I was told that babies are strictly carnivorous, however, since I've been feeding as stated above, I even get my brand new babies to eat a more well-rounded diet.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
I like to feed all my boxies 60% protein, 30% veggies, 20% fruit, and 10% greens. I like to avoid the pellets as much as possible - but feed them occaionally. Your diet sounds good - just be sure to vary everything as much as possible so they don't become fixated on just a few foods.

Status
Not open for further replies.