1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Feeding a Young Boxie

Discussion in 'American box turtles' started by Turtmum, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Turtmum

Turtmum New Member

Location (City and/or State):
    Canada
    Hi everyone, I'm a new turtle mom and although my husband and I have done a lot of research, now that we have a turtle we have a few questions.
    Just as an introduction, this is Clementine. We were told she is a three toed boxie (even though she has four back claws and I have my doubts) and her shell is about three inches long. We've had her for a week and a half. I posted about her enclosure and her care in my intro post here if you're interested.
    turt2.jpg
    We've read that young box turtles favour protein over veggies. We've been feeding her wax worms and she willingly eats them but I know she needs her veggies too. I got her to eat a bite of organic romaine lettuce but that was it so far. We tried banana and pepper as well. I read the pinned post on the American box turtle page and understand that feeding her wax worms is like feeding her candy and she'll take that over veggies, but I also read that younger turtles need 80% protein so I'm wondering if I should keep feeding her mostly worms or try to change her diet right away to discourage picky eating and nutritional deficiency. We want to try earthworms as well as I feel they're a bit more natural for her.
    Also, we're wondering how often we should feed her. I've read that younger turtles should be fed every second day and older ones should be fed 2-3 times a week. What would you recommend? Sadly the place we adopted her from did not know her age. Thanks.
    Pastel Tortie likes this.
  2. HarvestHerp5

HarvestHerp5 Member

Harvest, AL
    (These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    Nightcrawlers and earthworms are great choices for young box turtles. Mine love them. Roly polies/pill bugs are good too. Try scrambled eggs. If your turtle likes them, you can add shredded veggies to the eggs before you feed them to her. Berries are good choices too. Strawberries and blackberries tend to be my guys' favorites.
    Turtmum and Pastel Tortie like this.
  3. ColleenT

ColleenT Well-Known Member

Lehigh Valley Pa
  4. Turtmum

Turtmum New Member

Canada
    ColleenT and Pastel Tortie like this.